How do you get organized?

I have 4 kids and help to take care of my mother that has Alzheimer's and it is hard for me to get organized and get the whole house cleaned....It seems like as soon as I get one room done and move onto another one the original room is a disaster again!

buffyg

Asked by buffyg at 11:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Include the kids in the clean up process by making a chore chart with rewards, all age appropriate of course. If they leave their toys on the ground or anywhere besides their rooms they get taken away and they have to be earned back.
    Make sure everything else is in order like a family schedule of events so you know what's happening and when. Pre make meals and freeze them so you can pull it out and heat them up! That way it's not a huge deal to prepare a meal each meal time.
    Minimize the stuff you have around your house. I have 4 small children and we rotate a few buckets full of toys that they can play with, and we don't put them ALL out at the same time.
    I hope this helps! Good luck, you can do it girl! xo
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I love the make ahead meal ideas!! I can do that on a weekend for the week! I will have to figure out rewards, it is hard to figure those out when my kids ages are 2, 6, 10 and 16...such a large range of interests. Thank you for the ideas!
    buffyg

Comment by buffyg (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i agree with cablonde! we use lots of bins. organize the attic, family room, basement...everywhere with bins! oh and labels on them all!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 9:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Organization can be difficult for some people and cause lots of stress......pick the smallest room and remove all things that don't belong in that room, I use baskets, bins and tubs to organize. When you are doing major organizing it was get real bad before it gets better... but soon you will see light at the end of the tunnel. After you remove all that doesn't belong there then put remaining items in a tub or bin and label. In the laundry room I have a 2 door cabinet next to the washer and dryer, in there I have a plastic tub and in there I have spray and wash, clorox spray, and other items for clothes washing. In the other tub I have extra hangers. I have a large shelf over the washer and dryer and on there I have large appliances and trays. Once everything is in it's place it is easy find things and keep order in your house. Next do bathrooms and pretty soon you will have an organized house! Good Luck
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• At the end of the night before bed time routine, try making it a game to pick up the mess in the house. Set a timer and give each a box or something to carry stuff to where it belongs. Make it a game and all should participate except maybe a baby---even your dh should be helping with this..
    On decluttering, pick an area, set a timer, work on that spot---you will be surprised how good it feels to see even one area improved----and then you can walk away from it---if you feel like continuing, reset the timer. This helps your from being overwhelmed and slowly it will improve. And every month, go thru the kids toys and get rid of anything broken or that they are not playing with. And if they fuss, box it and if they don't ask for it by next month, you can safely donate or garage sale it. Another good rule of thumb is if they get something new, they have to get rid of something old. Hope these ideas help.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 11:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• make it into a competition with everyone in the family. Also, don't stress! have fun with it! if it doesn't get done, oh well. Don't let cleaning take more time away from your family fun!
    vany77

Answer by vany77 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I hire someone to do it for me. I have someone come into the house 4 times a year to help me get rid of things I just dont really need. Its hard for me sometimes to part with things so having someone be able to say "Do you really need these hat boxes" helps. I also try and do my daily chores on time but if I see it slipping again, I hire someone to come in twice a month or so until I am caught back up.

Answer by gemgem at 11:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Clean one room at a time a day and close the door off so the kids are not allowed to get in. If it's their room, then just cleam theirs up by tackling the dirty laundry and putting away their toys or better yet teach them to do it at the end of each day before going to bed. If its a living space where everyone shares, teach your chldren no certain amount of toys can be left there, then tell them to take them back to where they found them when they are finished playing with them.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 12:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• First i have to say: "I take my hat off" it must be tons of work for you and i know it can be frustrating. Second: its good you want to be clean and organized.. but sometimes you have to let go mama.. just relax. and third: what I do is give my kids a chore (if its not done, they dont get to do the things they like most) then i walk around the house with my cleaning supplies in a bucket.. go to one room and the next and so on.. i tell everyone "i finished the bathroom, its wet, dont go in" lol.. and they know not to make a mess in that room.. also i have found that if i take 5 min. during the night before getting in bed and write a list of things i have to do the next day.. in the morning its easier to know exacly where to start. if you make a list, ask your kids to pick a think or two from it to help you. but like i said before.. as long as its not an emergency.. relax nobody expects a full house to look like a museum.
    yvonne37

Answer by yvonne37 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If you haven't used it in the last 6 months it's got to go. I hate clutter but I wish that was some other people in my houses problem lol
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011