How do I explain Heaven to a 4 year old?

My father in law passed away recently and my daughter asked where do we go when we die. So I told her heaven. Now she wants to know what heaven is and if she can go and write letters to her papa so he can come back to her. But the main thing she keeps asking is what is heaven. I don't know how to explain it to her. Any suggestions ladies

Decker

Asked by Decker at 12:02 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I explain to my dd (she's 3) that Heaven is where Jesus lives and that her Grandad (my dad) and her Grandma (dh's mom) are there and though we can't see them, they watch over us and they still love us very much. I'd say let her write letters. It won't hurt anything. Have you seen the movie Letters to God? Even though she'd be writing to your FIL instead of God it may be nice to let her do it. At the end of the movie they talked about a program where they actually have mailboxes for the letters to God. You could probably find the info online and if they have a center near you you could drop them off there. Otherwise, just use your mailbox. Also you can check out a Christian bookstore and ask the staff for suggesstions (Family Christian Stores or LifeWay are popular ones). I'm sorry for your loss. Take care :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• When my grandpa passed away I simply explained that his spirit was in the sky where we cant see it but he can hear us if we speak to him.

There is no mail service in heaven LOL, but you could send occasional balloons with a note in or on it,etc...I know some who do that to honor the death anniversary or the passed ones birthday.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• There is a really great book for children called what is hea
    ven like?i bought it for my daughter when her nana died.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 12:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Aww Your cute LO. My beliefs are different from yours but if you do not mind, I am still a parent and I would like to answer :) I would encourage the letters and allow it to be a tool of communication for her to express her feelings. You could tie the letters to a balloon! I would tell her it is ok to miss him because she has a big heart. Sometimes you can ask your children what they think it is and then use your instincts and go from there. HTH.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:52 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I agree with 2tinyhineys..

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• At this age they simply cant get it. Our cat died when my son was this age and the question never ended-i told them he became an angel he said no cats cant fly did he take a plane thee-it was endless. We prayed. I sorta let him go aftr that-he insisted the cat took a train to heaven. I know cats and grandpas are different but it is deatgh. Little bits of info at a time. Their brains can only handle so much. It will become more concrete when she realizes he is no longer there.Let her send letters its her way of coping.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2011