• In the Spotlight:

How can you tell the difference?! =[

Generally..when do you feel Braxton hicks and what do they feel like?

Also, same question as above only Contractions..
the difference and how can you tell ur having them?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They feel different for everyone, but from what I've seen the general consensus about BH is that they feel like annoying period pains. I felt the most of mine when I had to use the bathroom really bad, and when I was in my second trimester. I'm 34 weeks and I've only had them once or twice in the past month or so. BH are NOT supposed to be painful, just irritating.

Contractions ARE supposed to be painful. They feel like more intense period cramps, and you can feel them pretty much any time during pregnancy, but it's not considered a good thing until you're full term at 37 weeks. Some people feel them in their stomachs, some feel them in their backs. You can tell if you're having them if your stomach gets hard and you feel the pain associated with them.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Braxton Hicks will not be in consistent intervals or get progressively worse as regular contractions do. Braxton Hicks will also get better when changing position, or walking, or something like that, were regular contractions will not. Most of the time contractions start in your back as muscle tightness and then will come around to your front.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• how will you know? like..will you be like "wow, thats deffinitly different"
    Anonymous

• there are different kinds of contractions. When they are consistent and timeable, for a decent amount of time, then you may have something. You probably aren't going to be asking that question once that has happened.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 1:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• wow u will know that u are having contractions cause contractions hurt soooo badly when u have them u practicly will not be able to move they hurt like hell
    ocean122489

Answer by ocean122489 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• When in doubt, ask your doc, as it's different for everyone. My nurse told me that if I laid down for an hour and they didn't come back when I got up, it was Braxton-Hicks. I felt no difference between these and my real contractions until they started to come REALLY strong. Every woman's body is different, so you'll have to find out for sure through trial and error...and remember that you're not the first (or last!) woman to call the doctor about Braxton-Hicks, or even go to the hospital! Both of which are perfectly ok. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2008