How do I get my 10 month old to sleep threw the night?

I am only trying to get my son to sleep threw the night he always seems to get up to feed 3 times a night. He is down to 3 feedings during the day.

sica1

Asked by sica1 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Feed him more during the day. Maybe this will offset what he needs at night.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I have tried to feed him more during the day but he dont seem to want it. I have also tried to feed him rice before bed but he syill gets up at night.

sica1

Answer by sica1 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My son did the same thing - he ate the very best at nighttime and it didn't matter what I added to the formula - nothing kept him full - at this age it's probably more of waking from habit more than anything else - I would recommend you getting a sleep book and decide a method that you are comfortable with - I ended up having to use the cry it out method but there are many methods that aren't as cold turkey as that also - he's old enough at this age to not need 3 bottles a night - dont' feel too bad though - my son just turned 1 and he still wakes up some nights - it depends on his day - teething, over tired- etc - some nights are harder than others but I usually don't go to him.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Get him used to not eating every time he wakes up. If he wakes up, rock him back to sleep instead of feeding him every time. You might be suprised to see that it works.
    krockwell

Answer by krockwell at 1:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• If he is taking two or three naps during the day cut one out. Try to feed him 3 bottles with solids, Breakfast/lunch/dinner and three bottles in between (snacks) the last one should be right before you lay him down for the night. Let him cry 5 min when he wakes up....he is so used to your quick response. He might lay down and fall back to sleep. It might takes a few nights though.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 1:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Give him water in all of the bottles during the night. He will soon realize that it is not worth waking up to only get water. I would also give him one more feeding throughout the day. Three doesn't seem like enough.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 3:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008