Does anyone on here read dog?

He sits next to me and breathes on me. I stand up, walk him over to his bed and tell him to stay, turn around and he's following me AGAIN. We've done this three times now. I thought maybe I would use the same consistent method like a child, but he's still sitting here staring up at me. His breath stinks and it's hot. It's making me hot. I don't know what he wants. Any ideas??

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:31 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Pets

• Most likely, he wants attention. You may need to work on training him to go to a particular spot. Find an appropriate spot or bed for your dog to go to. Bring your dog to that spot using a chosen command like "bed." Have your dog sit or lay down and praise him and give him a treat. Tell him to stay. After a few moments of staying, treat and/or praise again. Repeat this over and over, bringing him to the spot with the command and then moving away further and further each time remembering to reward the good behavior with praise and decreasing amounts of treats over time. My dog will come up to us for attention and when it gets annoying I tell her to "go" and she wanders away. I can also tell her "bed" and she'll go lay down on her bed. Good luck!
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 6:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Other than food it could be to go "out" or just simply he wants your attention.
    I do rather successfully "read dog" and those are about the standard wants of dog.
    He could just simply be bored...and wanting you, his loyal owner, to stimulate him with something to do!
    Good Luck!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I agree that he either wants food, attention, or to go out.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I'm sure he's trying to get a treat out of you:)
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• LOL Don't you just love dogs?
    surfngirl

Answer by surfngirl at 2:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011