My teenage son wants to wait until he's 18......

to get his driver's license. He thinks he can get it without having any type of driving course at all. Aren't all people required to take a course regardless of age? He's too lazy to get good grades in school to get his driver's license. So he decides to wait until he's 18. Should he be able to get it then? I really want him to finish school and he just doesn't care at all. What do you think of this?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Once you turn 18, you are not required to take driver's ed in the state of NC.
    You also do not have to hold a learner's permit before getting a license.
    But you do have to take the written and driving tests.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You don't have to take a course, but....your insurance costs more if you don't do driver's ed.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I've always been surprised when people don't want to get their license as soon as they can. I could not wait and was so excited about it. That was back when you could get a license, not just a permit, at age 14 in Idaho.

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 12:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Everywhere I've been, you don't have to take the courses but you still have to take a driving test and written test so yeah he will still have to study and still have to test. I agree with waiting til he's 18 though, because it sounds like he isn't going to be ready for the responsibility of driving at 16. I think that kids should get their license at 18, but have a permit or something at 16 where they can start practicing driving with an adult in the car. But that's just my opinion lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• At 18 you dont have to take a class but you do have to take the written test and the driving test.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• once your 18 you don't but you could if you wanted to.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I got my license when I was 20 it. It does not require any drivers ed or any courses. However he will have to obtain a permit before getting the license.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 12:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My dad made me wait until I was 18 (end of six kids too many fender benders) I did not need to take drivers ed.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• In the state of Wisconsin if you are 18 you don't have to take any driving courses so it is ALOT cheaper.
    I am assuming (hopefully not wrongly) that this might vary state from state.
    I waited til I was 18 for this very reason but I also practised ALOT so I wouldn't be wrecklessly obtaining a license just to
    save money.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• In my state UTAH you have to pass the drivers test and the written test to even get a license. If he does it in school it is easier and doesn't cost as much whne he is out of school... Also if you fail the test you have to pay to take it again... IN school they give you the test for free if you paid for the class once ... So it is best to do it in school I thnk
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2011