New to the Air Force Officer wife life.... :-/

hey everyone!!! Im here in hopes to learn a little more about what my husband and I are getting into. :) My husband is prior service in the Army for 8 yrs. He got out and went to college thats where we met. We graduated in May. I had a daughter from a previous marriage and we have one together. Anywyas :) my husband is in the process of getting a commission in the Air Force, and I just want to know what its like...?!?!?! Ive never been around the military and I honestly have no idea what to expect...how is on post housing, what are the good, the bad, and the down right ugly things that I will see on a day to day basis... :) thanks for the answers!!! Im totally clueless and could really use some help...

mmyrick7

Asked by mmyrick7 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• A lot will depend on where you are and your command. The worse is deployments and never really knowing what kind of crazy hours they will work.. The most fun for me is traveling to new places.

Congrats!!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I LOVE the travel. I'm not an officers wife, so it isn't going to be quite the same for you but in my experience, the worst parts are:

1. Deployments and TDY's
    2. Never knowing exactly how long you will be somewhere
    3. Gossip and drama among other military wives

The good has been:

1. Good sense of community on most bases I've lived at
    2. Travel to great places (we've lived in Nebraska, Guam, Spain, and Washington state. LOVED Guam and Spain!)
    3. Steady, reliable paycheck
    4. The benefits (we love the medical and dental benefits!)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I wasn't an officer's wife either but I agree with April DJC's answer.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My DH went to Officers' Training in Texas right after college graduation in 1966 and we knew nothing about the Air Force either. I guess April pretty much covered the basics and I agree that it was a good life,with medical care and a sense of community/. Yes, the wives tend to gossip but I avoided that and preferred to have a few close friends who didn't want to gossip either. WHen we were new in the AF it was the 1960's and things were more formal and they wanted wives to attend social events and host luncheons,etc. and not have a career,believe it or not. It has changed for the better over the years and wives have more independence and choices.Base housing can be really nice or just average.The BX and commissary are nice! TDY's can be stressful but you get used to them.We were based in Germany twice and traveled Europe--wonderful experience. You will learn all about the Air Force quickly! GOOD LUCK!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My husband was prior enlisted, went through college, then commissioned as an officer. Much of it depends on his career field. Some career fields move every 3-5 years. Some every 2. Once he w
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Sorry. Hit answer by accident ( on phone).

Once he works is way up to a command position (depending on career field can be as early as Major) then you may find yourself moving every 18 months-2 years.
    We never lived on base and always bought a home (to later rent out) till we moved to our current duty station. Hubby was deemed mission essential and we are required to live on base. Living on base is interesting. Many on base housing aren't really ON base. They are privatized contractor managed near base living. Much like apartment living.
    There are many opportunities for you to get involved and help the base community out.
    But for the most ~ the bad and ugly depend on his career field and your duty station. Also, if you plan to have a career as well? Challenges may arise ... Good Luck. Feel free to PM me with any base specific questions. We have been an AF family for 17 years.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think there are several military wives groups here on CM. They may be able to give you some pointers.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Here is a reference guide to help you. 

"Air Force 101 - A Handbook for Air Force Spouses"

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Thanks ladies!!!! :) I still have so much to learn so thanks for letting me know they are bases not posts...MY BAD!! :) I feel like a sponge trying to soak up everythign that i can!! :)
    mmyrick7

Comment by mmyrick7 (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011