Twins wont sleep on their backs =(

Okay so not only are my 2 month old identical twin girls both veryyy colicy and gassy but they are capable of staying awake for ten hours straight and can't stand to sleep on their backs.... like right now, I know they are tired because when I hold them they fall asleep in my arms but as soon as I lay them in their crib on their backs they wake up after ten minutes screaming.....

One day, I put them on their tummys and they both passed out for 5 hours straight... which NEVER happens when they are on their backs. I dont know what I should do... =/ HELP!!! I dont want to be the mother to put my kids at risk for SIDS but I am loosen my mind.... I got them to fall asleep but then I put them in their crib and now they are SCREAMING and they have only had one hour nap today so I know they are tired =(

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 12:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There gassy so that pressure on there tummy help and that is why they fell asleep. MY son sleeps on his back at night with a binky but during the day he sleeps on his tummy cause I am wake and can watch him. I would try swaddling and laying this on there side hopefully that will help them sleep. GL
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Maybe its a twin thing. I have an identical twin and my mom says I never could sleep on my bak. To this day I can't sleep on my back. Maybe u could try the side. But have something on both sides to prevent them from rolling. I use to have to do this with my youngest daughter. She slept better that way. But regardless of which way my kids slept I was always getting up to check their breathing.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 1:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I agree with the ladies above. Swaddle them and lay them on their sides and roll up 2 recieving blankets (for each baby) and put one in front and one in back so they stay where you put them. Make sure you take everything out of the crib and the sheets fit tight on the mattress. Sleep positioners aren't really recommended, but the rolled recieving blankets should do the trick (the nurses at the hospital where dd was born did that for her so she didn't have to be on her back).
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• let them sleep as they want.my son used to sleep on his tummy when he was of that age. also after feeding them hold them against ur chest and pat their back softly so that they can burp.it will certainly help them in a better way.
    A11

Answer by A11 at 2:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I never put my babies on there backs to sleep. I was always afraid that they would spit up in their sleep or something. It always freaked me out. So they always slept on their stomachs. My youngest was really gassy & we'd swaddle him in his blanket. He slept with me then & I would put him on his side up against me with his head on my shoulder and my arm around him. Sometimes he would sleep all thru the night without waking. My arm barely worked the next morn, but it was worth it. GL
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 2:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• all my kids slept on their tummies when they weren't snuggled next to me nursing. We are a family of tummy sleepers. I can't get a good deep sleep unless I am on my tummy. My oldest son would flinch constantly and wake up screaming if I put him on his back. I have 5 kids by the way... jsut be smart if they are going to tummy sleep. Their beds should be empty and their clothes snug. My kids would crawl, even at about 3 mo in their sleep (well kinda crawl), so no blankets... just keep their room warm, and have them in warm snug footies.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• maybe theyre tummy sleepers, takes the pressure off the tummy from the gas. i would take everything out of the crib, even the sheet and just let them sleep on the tummy. but thats just me. good luck mommy!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• make sure sheet is tight on bed, try laying them on tummies for 1/2 hr. maybe put one of those tummy time bumpy pillow rolls under their arms/chest then 1/2 hr into it when gas relief has passed put them on sides with recieving blankets rolled up in front and back support positions and take everything else out of bed.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 2:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2011