Can i take pre natal vitamins even though am not prego?

Can i take prenatal vitamins just to stimulate hair growth is that safe???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Health

• Yes it is, it has a little extra that your body doesn't need unless you are pregnant or nursing but it shouldn't hurt you. It might or might not stimulate hair growth, it works differently for everyone, but it won't hurt to give it a shot :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:29 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You can take them. I'm not sure if they will help hair growth though. Maybe if the reason your hair isn't growing is because of a vitamin deficiency then it will help. I'm not pregnant and I take them because I'm hoping to become pregnant. My mom is in her 60s and takes them, but I'm not sure exactly why other than her Dr suggested that she should.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 1:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Well i knw anything with keratin can help hair growth thats why i asked i guess ic an just run it by the doc & see what she says
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes, you can take it. In fact, doctor's encourage any woman who is ttc to take prenatal vitamins.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes
    Missbehaves

Answer by Missbehaves at 2:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I copied this from womenshealth.org: You can't get too much folic acid from foods that naturally contain it. But unless your doctor tells you otherwise, do not consume more than 1,000 mcg of folic acid a day. Consuming too much folic acid can hide signs that a person is lacking vitamin B12, which can cause nerve damage. Lacking vitamin B12 is rare among women of childbearing age. Plus, most prenatal vitamins also contain B12 to help women get all that they need. People at risk of not having enough vitamin B12 are mainly people 50 years and older and people who eat no animal products.
    hrt_0928

Answer by hrt_0928 at 2:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Maybe just eating foods high in folic acid would be good if you're just trying to grow more hair...
    hrt_0928

Answer by hrt_0928 at 2:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It is common for women to take them for hair growth and nail health. After surgery when hair loss is common this is sometimes used.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes you can take them. I do. My mom does & she's almost 57. My hair was falling out by the handfuls due to stress where I was living. I moved out, started taking my prenatals again, & my hair stopped falling out & you wouldn't believe the new growth I have. All over my head not just in places. It's really good cause I have fine thin hair anyway. So take them. They will help alot.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 3:44 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i took prenatals for that exact reason, it grew my hair and i got pregnant after two yrs of nothing............
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2011