Do you plan to buy your children their first car?

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 1:22 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• We did. We bought all 4 of our sons used cars (under $1000 for each of them) and they each paid us back 1/2 of what was spent via monthly payments. Prior to our buying their 1st car they had to have/maintain a 3.0 or better GPA, have/maintain a job for 6 mos., go through driving school, have their temps for 6 mos. before getting their license, have their license for 6 mos. before getting their 1st car & have no tickets on their record. After they got their car they had to continue with the 3.0 or better GPA, keep their job, not have any tickets, pay their own car insurance and put their own gas in their car. Three were 11th graders when they got their 1st cars and 1 was a Senior since he turned 17 as a Senior when he got his 1st car. Upon college graduation they got their pink slips, until then their cars were in our name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Our deal was if they got all a's & b's in high school we'd buy them their first car, all c's and above, we'd help them buy a car.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:23 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Nope.

If I could afford to, I certainly would, but I can't.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My parents bought our first car, but we had to get jobs because we had to pay for the gas, registration, tires, oil changes, etc. We also had to pay for a cell phone because we lived out in the country and our dad didn't want to risk us breaking down and not being able to call for help.
    TitusMom7

Comment by TitusMom7 (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I hope to afford to pay for it, but I think having him pay insurance and maintenance etc would be a good deal, that way it isn't completely free.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Our plan right now is to give our son our car now, which is paid off and then get a new one. We will see how his attitude is and how finances are in 5 years.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• At this point I plan to. I don't know what our finances will be then though. I have to say at the very least we will help her get a car.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 1:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• lol No! I wish we could though. But then again, who knows, maybe at that point we will be able to. My parents let us use their cars every once in a while but we always had to pay for the gas ourselves.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 1:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I will do the same thing my parents did, which is pay for half. Whatever they can come up with, we will match. They will pay for drivers ed, insurance, gas, etc and half of the car.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My dd is still little, but if we can, and she's responsible enough, why wouldn't we help ?

It depends on many things, can she afford the financial commitment, is she working hard at college, what benefits would it bring etc.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:31 AM on Jan. 11, 2011