Blook test results for down syndrome at 18 weeks pregnant

I am 42 and just got the results of my blood tests for down syndrom. The normal chance of having a baby with down syndrome for a women my age is one in 39 births. I had the first blood screen done at the end of November and the 2nd blood test last week.

My results came back today with a chance of one in 225. Granted this is a much lower risk than the normal woman my age and the nurse on the phone was very happy with the results.

However, She said they still consider it "Screen Positive" because in order to have a screen negative result I need to score one in 270 which is the normal risk for a woman at age 35.

What does all this mean??? I do have a second level sonogram next week and I can have an amniocentesis if I want. Anyone else go through this before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I haven't gone through this, other than being offered an amnio during my pregnancies to check for Downs Syndrome. I turned it down because even if my child was positive for Downs, I wouldn't have aborted. Knowing ahead of time I figured would be stressful, especially if the test results were wrong, which they sometimes are. Good luck with your decision making, I'm sure it is very tough for you right now.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 2:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I turn down these test because there are a phenomenal amount of false positives I would not worry and see if the ultrasound says anything but other than that no worries.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Wait until your second level U/S....they will be able to give you much more, very accurate information. I would definitely consider your first screening as a very good sign, excellent actually. I asked my doctor why would I need to undergo these tests, because, as the 1st poster stated, I wouldn't have aborted (I was 39). And she said, to give me time to research any complications and to find proper, specialized medical care...which, when put that way, makes perfect sense. Your initial tests look great, relax, and just wait for your second level. Congratulations!!
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 6:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I know you seem worried. I was 41 when I had my last daughter if you need to talk please let me know. I had made up my mind after having a miscarriage then getting pregnant again a short time later that no matter what the results said I would not abort. I only did the 1 test and it said that the chances of having a down syndrome baby was fairly slim. Then later I went with my daughter and her tests were very high for her to have one my granddaughter is perfectly fine.
    I think it all makes sense to what they are doing and it's all up to you to decide what you think you could handle.
    I wish you luck and if you want more support I would love to hear from you
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My doctor told me not to get that screen because it would likely show "positive" due to my age (I was 38 when I had my youngest). He said that he saw so many women over 35 testing positive and the angst they went through that he refuses to do them. Wait until you have your ultrasound, and the amnio (if you choose to have it) before you worry for one second about the results of this test.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I went through this with my son. I did the quad screen and they told me I had a 1 in 175 chance of him having down syndrome. We did the level 2 ultrasound a week later and they said they saw a small spot on his heart, which was common, but with the positive from the first screening, it now made our chances 1 in 88. I started crying and the doctor acted like I was crazy for being upset. My husband and i decided to do the amnio because I didn't want to spend the last 20 week of my pregnancy wondering if our baby was ok. My son is a perfectly healthy 3 year old now. I would wait and see what the ultrasound tells you. If everything looks normal, then I would try not to worry about it. I am pregnant again and when asked about doing the quad screen this time I said absolutely not. It wasn't worth all the extra stress that it caused last time. Good luck I hope everything turns out ok for you.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 9:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I am currently 36 weeks pregnant with my first. I went through this same nightmare in October. By far the most stressful time in my life so far. They told me I had a 1/67 chance that my baby could have DS. I am 23, so this scared me even more. I researched and blogged my heart out for the next two weeks while I waited for my genetic counseling and level 2 u/s. Trying to get as much advice and information as possible just to help with easing my mind. I knew I wasn't going to terminate the pregnancy. When I went to have the level 2 u/s the doctor didn't find any markers for DS. So he doubled my risk factor. It went from 1/67 to 1/134. But that still didn't ease my mind enough. Just from all the stories I had read the weeks before, it didn't satisfy me to know I was still well over the regular stats for my age. So I made the difficult decision to have the amnio done. I couldn't enjoy the rest of my pregnancy not
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Continued.. knowing for sure. Anyway I waited 2 1/2 days for the FISH results which are about 95% accurate. They told me everything looked normal. Then after two weeks I received the 99% test results and they said it all looked normal. I was so relieved. By far the best day of my life. Since then my SO and I have done some volunteer work for people with Down syndrome and things that used to seem like a big deal or hassle just doesn't seem so bad anymore. It's amazing how this experience can change a person's outlook on life so much. I wish you the best. Hang in there, it should be over soon.
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i went through this but for spina bifida on the blood test, it's crappy! they did a level 2 u/s on my son and said his spine looked fine and there was a normal amount of skin covering it. they also did genetic counseling with me and my ex. he came out fine, but i actually think i have a form of spina bifida and that's why his came out positive bc it's a genetic condition. the dr that did my anestesia (sp?) said i definitely need to get my spine checked bc mine is abnormal. hmmmm
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2011