is there

gender discrimination in your society.I'm from India.Tho' i love everything about our country but the one thing that I really hate about our society is the gender discrimination.people here prefer boy child over a baby girl to the extent that the govt. has to ban pre-natal pregnancy test as people started misusing it. Tho' we have progressed in every sphere of life but this is where i think we need to grow up.

A11

Asked by A11 at 3:15 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• There is probably gender discrimination in any society. Not necessarily to the extent as yours. Here in the USA, I know that as we grow up, that certain occupations expect men to work and others expect women to work. Slowly those expectations are changing. Such as not all firemen are actually men. Women get to be firefighters now also. Our society is encouraging girls to dream to be what ever they want, all they have to do is work for it, just as any other person would. When parents are having children, most just want to have a healthy baby, no matter what the gender. My son and his wife were so excited about their baby. They wanted to know before the birth so that could plan the nursery and have the name picked out. When they found out it was a boy, my son was excited but he did say that he hoped the next one was a girl. He really would like to have a daughter.
    guyandtoni01

Answer by guyandtoni01 at 3:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• see we have a skewed sex ratio but it doesn't mean that females are looked down here.most people including my parents see to it that their daughters get the best education( by the way I'm college lecturer in an engineering college).60% of my students are girls.we have some great female personalities who made their mark on international front. but this is the narrow minded attitude of older people
    A11

Comment by A11 (original poster) at 3:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I don't know why some think girls are the lesser of the two. We are qually as smart and if it weren't for females, no one would be here!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• There is some (USA), but not to the extent of your culture (or China's). In our society, gender discrimination is usually within a corporate setting; certain companies believing that a man is better for certain jobs. As children, I think the genders are treated equally.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2011