How can I get my 6 week old twins to latch on better?

My girls will be six weeks old on Wednesday. They are usually very good at nursing but lately they seem to only get the tip of the nipple in their mouths and now my nipples are bruised and very VERY sore. I usually breastfeed them at the same time using a twins nursing pillow. I've noticed that when I get the chance to feed them one at a time and I use the cradle hold, it hurts a bit less. It seems easier for them to get more of my nipple in their mouths that way.

Any ideas on getting them to latch correctly every time instead of just once in a while? This is painful!

twinsmom12110

Asked by twinsmom12110 at 3:48 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have no advice but would suspect it has to do with positioning. Have you asked this in the breastfeeding group? There's several Moms of twins there...
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 5:22 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• if its easier to do it one at a time, is it an option?
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think I would BF them one at a time for the next couple days (I know, you'll have a baby at breast for 24/7!) With my son he had a terrible latch... it took 3 days for me to correct it. Everytime he got lazy and wouldn't latch on correctly I would take him off and we would start over until he did it right. Soon he was latching on correctly.
    I imagine you are using the football hold when you feed both of them... I would work on their latch in that position since it seems to be the one that is causing the most trouble.
    I would take a look at their position... maybe they aren't lined up correctly at the breast and that is why it's worse in one position and not the other.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:44 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Just keep correcting and relatching until they do it right. Like Ami said, maybe do one at a time for a few days until the latch is better.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:53 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I have zero experience nursing twins but I would say if you can try to switch one so you can nurse one at a time, try that. But then your nursing session can last a loonnnngggg time, so maybe that is to much time to cut out for nursing??? I don't know I only had one at a time...God Bless You!! I will give you a bump and hope you get some good answers!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Praying for you and Bumping.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 2:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011