Need Help with Pricing???!!

Hi! My MIL makes beautiful homemade quilts, burp cloths and baby bibs and she asked me to help her sell them at a local craft show later this month. I go to craft shows- but I never look at baby stuff since I don't need to buy it so I am lost on price. How much would you pay for baby items at a craft fair (or if you make stuff- how much do you charge?) The quilts are the size of the quilts that come in crib sets and they are hand quilted. The bibs are all 2 sided and the larger ones have a music button in them. Any suggestions?

Greenbeans422

Asked by Greenbeans422 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Baby quilts--$50
    bibs--$5-7

Blankets take a lot of time and work to make (I crochet) and I think if you're going homemade, then that's a fair price to ask (at the very least anyways).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Quilting can take much more time than crochet depending on the complication of the designs of each. I think you need to take the cost of the fabric and batting, which can come close to $30-40 even for a crib quilt and then put a value on the time she spent quilting them. Add that together and you have the price for the quilts. For a quality hand-quilted crib quilt, I would say $60-75 at the least.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I recently moved cross country so I can tell you the price for things even at craft fairs varies largely from region to region. I'd go to a craft fair in your area and see what others are charging for similar products or call a local quilting club.
    Rishakia

Answer by Rishakia at 8:53 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I am also making baby items for a craft fair. Right now I'm making sets of bib, burp towel and booties and I was thinking of charging $15 for a full set, or $10 for just bib/burp towel. I've never sold anything before so I hope these are good prices, lol.
    atmomma

Answer by atmomma at 2:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Check out etsy.com. There are handmade items all over that site in different price ranges. It should give you an idea of what the items your selling go for.
    shawnasie

Answer by shawnasie at 8:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2009