How did you feel when....?

How did you feel when you had to leave your son/daughter at college for the first time? I was somewhat ready when my son, who is the oldest, went yet I did cry as we pulled out of the parking lot. It was hard knowing that he would not be home within the next few days. I handled well and did not embarrass him in front of anyone at the college.

guyandtoni01

Asked by guyandtoni01 at 3:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• my son isnt in college yet but when he started kindergarten I almost made him miss his bus bc I woudnt stop hugging him. he is starting middle school next year and im already a wreck! dont want to think about college!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 5:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You did good, mama! Several of my friends have gone through that, and they were all sad - especially the first few days. After awhile, they become excited about their childrens new lives and independence. (One of the women broke down in the dormitory hallway, her daughter was so embarrassed!)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My daughter will be leaving for university in September.   It will be a bittersweet moment but I'm sure I will handle it well.  I plan on saving my tears for the car on the way home, which will be an 18 hour drive assuming she gets into the university she wants.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I have three sons and a daughter, all adults now. My first two boys went to a local college. After travelng to a few colleges with my youngest son, I just knew thathe would fit in and that the best place for him was at an out-of-town college. I hated to let my "baby son" go, but I knew it was the best thing for him. It turned out to be the best and now he lives out of town. We live in Buffalo, NY, and he lives in Boston where he is excelling in his job. I miss him terribly, but I wouldn't have wanted to deny him the education and life he deserved. Besides, thanks to Facebook and AOL, I "talk" to him almost every day, more than I talk to the ones that live here.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:17 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You did great! I was OK in the dorm and then cried all the way home in the car. Bittersweet
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2011