How do you KNOW when your family is complete?

Did you "just know?" Did it have something to do with empty chairs to fill around the dinner table? Was it something along the lines of what you could handle? Or...is it something your leaving up to a "Higher Power" like "God won't give you something you can't handle?"

Me, I feel my family is complete SOMETIMES. Went to the beach and realized the work load and wanting to do family outings now that they're getting older. Hubby felt he could only handle 3, but managed when we had our 4th. I'm realizing I've avoided the roller coasters long enough...being pregnant and holding onto bags...no more excuses lol.

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 4:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• My family isn't complete yet. I imagine I will "just know" when it is like I "just know" it isn't complete right now lol. I was married at 19, had my first baby at 21 and another at 24. I have several years left on my biological clock and dh and I definitely want more so when the time is right we'll have more. And I do not believe God will give me anything that I cannot handle!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I decided a long time ago that I wanted to have at least four but my husband doesn't want anymore than four. So, that's our number. We have three right now so we get one more. And I really do feel that our family will be complete then and that I'm about ready to do something else with my life like get back in shape and start dancing again.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:47 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• my family is complete. I couldnt see having any less or any more! :) i realized it last year when we went on vacation. It is perfect for me!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 5:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I KNOW I can't afford to take care of anymore, so its compleete :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• In this day and age, I guess you could add up the college expenses while they are little to help make the decision if your family is complete. LOL
    GrandmaBfly1

Answer by GrandmaBfly1 at 7:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I knew I wanted four children. I had three boys and then I got pregnant again. However, I miscarried and decided I would be happy with "my three sons." Then I got pregnant again and had my daughter. Both my husband and I felt it was time to quit. I was a stay at home mom. I probably could have handled more, but I was 32 when I had my last. I had always felt that I wanted to be through having children by the time I was 30 so that was close enough. I think a lot of moms experience a "doubtful" stage in their lives about feeling "complete." And, yes, I do believe God gives you what you can handle in life.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My Dh didn't want any more kids. We had 3 chilren under the age of 5 in the first 3 years of our marriage. It was a lot for us to handle and while I would have had 1 more he really dind't want another one. Now my kids aer 13, 11 and 9 and we have so much fun doing things with them that the thought of having a baby is to much for us.

I also knew when I held a friends baby and it was great, although I knew I could give the baby back.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 11, 2011