HOW WOULD YOU HANDLE

RIHT NOW IM STAYING AT MY DAUGHTERS UNTIL I FIND A PLACE. I HAVE A 10 AND A 5 YEAR OLD GRAND SON. TO ME THEY ARE OUT OF CONTROL. THEY DONT LISTEN AT ALL . THEY MAKE FUN OF ME WHEN THEY MESS SOMETHING UP ITS ALWAYS ME WHO THEY TRY TO BLAME. THE YOUNGEST ONE IS THE ONE WHO IS THE WOREST.HE PICKS ON HIS UNCLE , THROWS THINGS AT HIM AND GETS INTO HIS STUFF. THEIR MOM MY DAUGHTER SOMETIMES DISPLINES THEM BUT NOT AS OFTEN AS THEY NEED TO BE .

stressedoutgran

Asked by stressedoutgran at 4:56 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Unfortunately they are not your kids and only their parents have the right to discipline them but maybe you can kindly talk to your daughter
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:02 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would tell my daughter that you aren't being respected and I would set limits on the kids and tell them they can't act that way. If it's ok with their mother, punish them yourself. If none of this works maybe try the silent treatment til they get the message.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• TRIED SHE SEES ONLY WHAT SHE WANTS TO SEE. HER YOUNGEST IS HER BABY.
    stressedoutgran

Comment by stressedoutgran (original poster) at 5:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My sisters 3 kids were like that to me. Start taking their fav toy when they make a mess.and tell them they would get it back when they clean up that mess. When they start ignoring you, calmly get up, assuming u r on a couch, and go on and get another toy that they like or play with alot. What is your reaction when they are doing this, and their uncle? Although I know it wil be VERY hard to do so, but ignore them. Tell the uncleto put his things where they can't to it or put a lock on his door. If mom reacts to any of this, tell her u tried to tell her, so u took things into you hands. If mom complains abou the uncle getting a lock on his door. Again, explain, I suspect she will probably mad at this, but, he tried to ask for hjis help with kids, and nothing happens. So he got a lock and they can't do it anymore, problem solved. As for thinking that u can't punish them, well I think since u r their grandma, u should have t
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:00 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think they are very disrespectful and as a mom I would not have my daughter be disrespectful to my mother. You as there grandmother have the right to say,I do not like how you are speaking to me. How very sad. YOUR daughter better start to raise her children now because when they get older god help her.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• a hand in punishing them, afer all u raised your daughter, ya'll are family so I do not think u should not be able to punish them as u see fit. U asked for her help and she didn't do anything, or much of anything, u will. I mean if u were at friends house and she had kids out of control, then no, she is mom, she should punish them. My grandma punished me and my brother. and she didn't blink. We learned fast the grandma means whta she says, and she didn't take any prisoners.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You are staying at her house.....

Talk to her about it. If you don't like the way she disciplines. then tough. She is an adult., and those are her children, and that is her house.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:47 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• When they are in your house and the parents are not around you most certainly have the right to discipline or, correct their ways. Reasoning with them, describing the right and wrong of the matter would help. Your daughter needs to follow through, which is what I told my daughter for years. No, she really did not listen and now they are teenagers who talk back all the time. All you can do is suggest and, hope they listen.
    GrandmaBfly1

Answer by GrandmaBfly1 at 7:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Good Luck...It sounds like a bad situation, and unfair, she gonna have much bigger problems if SHE doesn't fix it now but they are HER kids and it is her turn to raise her kids..If you step in in her home, with her kids it may cause bigger problems. She is gonna have a rude awakening if it keeps up, but she might have to learn from her mistakes...again Good Luck, hope things get better
    proudestmomma02

Answer by proudestmomma02 at 7:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I agree that children need to be disiplined but you may not want to complain about her parenting while you are staying in her home.
    Anonymous