Thirty two recovering from a tonsillectomy.

What is the average amount of time that it takes an adult to fully recover after having a tonsillectomy? On an average because I know that everyone is different. Because I am pulling my hair out here and I need to eat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Health

• My niece had hers done as an adult 24 and she was eating frozen juice and sipping soda the first couple days then moved onto broth and soup. She said it was a couple weeks before she felt good enough to eat anything hard to swallow.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• feel betterI do not even know. I had this done when I was a child 7 yrs. old.   I was so sick OMG it did hurt.  I did not eat for 3 days food. I ate jello, ice cream and of course fluids. I would call your doctor. I hope you feel better soon!!

sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:53 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• my kids were all young when they had theirs, 10-14 days! make sure you take your pain meds regular at first, don't wait for it to start hurting before you take it! GL!!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 8:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I had it done at 27 and had tubes and adnoids out as well... I had an ear infection going in and sorry to be the bearer of bad news it took me about 3 weeks it was awful! Hope it is better for you though
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I had mine done at 22 on a Monday and by Friday I was eating thicker stuff like mashed potatoes and by the following Monday I was eating real food but nothing crunchy for a few weeks. I was taking Tylenol around the clock though for about 2 weeks.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• have a quick & safe recovery
    buella

Answer by buella at 10:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I had my tonsils and adenoids removed at age 26. It was painful, and I lost 17lbs in 2 weeks. I couldn't eat for over 2 weeks. By the start of the third week I was eating soup. It seemed like the only thing I could swallow was pain meds. I also had bleeding after the first week. I also had problems with my tongue fusing up the side of my throat where my tonsils used to be. I had to learn to talk properly again. Drink a lot of ice water. I hope your recovery goes well and that you have no problems with your healing.
    sweetlyblissful

Answer by sweetlyblissful at 11:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'd say about 3 weeks and as someone above mentioned, take your pain medications as prescribed--set your alarm clock if you have to--, it's hard to (re)gain control over the pain. I lived on Sprite for a few days! Best wishes to you!
    Cookie618

Answer by Cookie618 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2011