Have you taught your children manners?

There are so many kids I see that have none and it's the give me attitude. The kids at my school alot of them don't know how to say please and Thank You. I have taught my daughter manners and get lots of compliments from other people regarding how she has got such great manners.

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:57 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, I taught my children manners since the day they could ask for anything, they had to say please. When they got what they wanted, they had to say thank you. I must have said "What do you say" a million times but, repetition does pay off. I also taught them table manners at an early age. It is never to early to teach a young child manners.
    GrandmaBfly1

Answer by GrandmaBfly1 at 7:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We're very strict on manners in my house. They're one of our top priorities. I always tell my children if you don't use your pleases and thank yous and treat other people well then they'll do the same to you.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:04 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Absolutely! I don't understand parents who don't teach manners and etiquette.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I agree. You start them very young. I as well get compliments. Way to go mom!!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes, we've taught our boys to be gentlemen since they were little.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 7:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes I have also...I agree with you that too many people don't teach their children manners...my brother and sil have never ever taught their children any manners and it's sad. Just last week when my mom was here she was so impressed that when she asked my 3 year old if he wanted any french fries he replied "no thank you." My 5 year old is in K this year and the kindergarten teacher told me that she has to teach manners as a class and stress it every day b/c so many come to school without any.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• No we want our kids to be out of control lunatics :) lol...joking...yes, of course.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I taught them manners from the time they were little.

Answer by Bmat at 7:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes, ever since they learned how to talk they have been taught to say please, thank you, and excuse me. Manners are important, and I don't understand why some parents just don't take the time.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I believe most parents teach their kids manners. However, kids are thick-headed little mammals and it takes time to get them in the habit. When away from their parents, the parents are not there to remind them to say please and thank you. Plus you get the herd mentality with the kids in the classroom, trying to show off for each other.

My son is four and does very well with please and thank you, unprompted most of the time. I had to take him to the chiro with me and I got two separate compliments on how well-behaved he was. My only thought was "Wow! You obviously weren't around when he was terrorizing the bank across the street last week!"

But kids have to learn how to behave in public while they are in public. I take my son out so I can teach him what behavior is expected of him. Manners are always at the top of the list.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 7:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2011