My 4 year old wont eat good food

When my son was a baby he used to eat anything and everything. Now at 4 I cant get him to eat anything that is good for him...I have tried many things, but nothing seems to work...Any suggestions?

Djs_Jls

Asked by Djs_Jls at 1:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• So then, does he eat junk food instead? Get all the junk food out of the house so that his only options are healthy foods. When he gets hungry enough he'll eat what's available.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I agree with the above. If there are junk food options, that's what he'll go for. Also, if you allow him to snack constantly, he'll never want to eat at mealtime. Get rid of EVERYTHING unhealthy, even if it hurts you a little. If he only has healthy choices, he'll either have to choose them or go without. And when he gets hungry enough he'll eventually break down and eat whatever is there =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Structure your meals and snacks as said above. Only give small snacks mid morning and in the afternoon and then at bedtime or however it works for you. Don't allow cookies right before meals and make healthy choices easier. Cut up watermelon or cantaloupe so it is as convenient for you as the cookies or whatever, and more fun and manageable to him. Get dried fruit instead of candy and fruit pops instead of ice cream. There are a lot of healthy alternatives that taste just as good as the junky items.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Check out some websites online. My son isn't the best eater either when it comes to variety, but I try to give him the healthier options in the category that he loves... For instance, he LOVES crackers... so, I give him All Bran crackers, and he's happy. Or, he really needs fiber, so I allow him to have baked beans. So, I think it's about compromising so that it works for both of you.

Good luck!
    Marla
    MarlaMac

Answer by MarlaMac at 7:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Ok my approach wasnt as nice, but after about a hour in the highchair looking at vegetables lol maybe it would work.With mine, its ok you dont eat all your food you wont get juice to drink (a bribe so sue me it works lol)or I say you will go to bed and no more cartoons for you. either way its off the plate. but now she loves vegetables. and instead of just snacks, like they said introduce healthy snacks. my kids love bananas,strawberries, grapes, watermelon, yogurt. you can even freeze those gogurts and make it "ice cream" good luck
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 7:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• mine is the exactly the same way... when he was little he tried every single thing and ate a lot of different things... and now he won't eat unless he is really hungry... what we had to do was stop his snacking or getting food at any time he wanted... sometimes it gets really hard to listen to him saying he is hungry when the meal time is only a half hour away... it seems to be the only way of getting him to eat... and of course there are the days when it seems like i can't feed him enough... so i guess it is just that they are at that stage and will grow out of it.
    ilovenikhil

Answer by ilovenikhil at 10:06 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Well, "Green Eggs and Ham" is my saving grace. My son is four, and I have the same issue with him. He loves Dr. Seuss books, especially the one metioned above, he'll now eat green beans and lettuce, good start I say. I no longer buy gummi snacks or goldfish or any of the useless snck foods. Most items I prepare for breakfast he'll eat i.e. malt o meal, oatmeal, french toast, eggs, fruit salad. And lunch is easy too, but dinner, oh goodness... I'm tellin ya, repeat reading that dang book has made a big impact... try it try it, you will see, try it and you may I say... :) Good Luck!
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 10:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2008