When is the best time to take your kid of the bottle?

And what is the most effective way to do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One year old.....Happy Birthday Baby!!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• we started the sippy cup when the child could physically hold it. one was at 9 months old, the last was at 13 months old. we kept a bottle at night for a week or two and then just got rid of them.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 2:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• after a year.
    josiahmom

Answer by josiahmom at 2:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You have 2 choices for when:
    Before 1 year, before the habit is fully entrenched OR after 2.5 years when they can understand things better.

You have 2 choices for how:
    Cold turkey - you can throw them out, "mail" them to a new baby who needs them, have a mythical being take them away (Santa, the bottle fairy, etc)
    OR
    Phased (sleep times only, then not at naps, then not at bedtime either)

You have to choose which is best for your child. As long as it's only water in the bottle, it does no harm to let a toddler go to sleep with a bottle. Super soaked diapers in the morning, yes, but no harm. My daughter was (and is) super intense. I choose to let her keep the bottle since the sucking motion really helps her slow down and relax. Sometime this coming spring, I'll have the Bottle Fairy take them away - after she is potty trained.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My daughter's last bottle was on her first bday. That night I packed them all up and didn't look back.
    lilmissJ

Answer by lilmissJ at 2:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Start early like around 10 mths. The longer you wait the harder it is to break away.
    Anonymous

• I have let all of my kids decide when to give up their bottles, all of them were off by 2, and none of them have any problems with their teeth.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• The sooner you teach the child the earlier they will learn responsibility.
    patientchild_2

Answer by patientchild_2 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Oh for goodness sakes. Third grade at the latest. Let your child go at their own pace.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I took my son off the bottle at 12 month
    shimmeringmom

Answer by shimmeringmom at 5:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2008