Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do i do if my ex is a child sex offender and wants custody of my child.

He hasn't seen her in over a year and he hasn't come by my house to see her. I have never denied him the right to see her and he knows where i live. I havent seen a dime from him in forever. Apparently He has a Job and a car and he lives with Mom. I work full time as a military tech and my daughter and i live in a apt. He took out a summons for me to appear in court dec 1.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (17)
  • I swear...the nerve of some men. If I were you I wouldnt be to concernd about him getting custody. It sounds like you have a strong case. First, he hasnt seen her in a year, knowing fully where she was and that you would allow him to see her. Second, he has not givin you any financial support. And third, he is a child sex offender....none of that looks good for someone who wants their child. Keep your head up Mama, and fight for your baby.

    Answer by Djs_Jls at 1:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • Get a lawyer and go to court. He should be allowed supervised visitation, but I don't see any judge granting him custody if he is a convicted child sex offender.

    Answer by Crazy-Steph at 1:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • Is he a convicted offender or you just have a feeling? If he's a convicted offender then he should be registered as such and he would not have an option for being with the child...or any child. If you just have a feeling.............what's that about?

    Answer by EireLass at 1:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • If he is a registered sex offender, as far as I know he shouldn't be allowed to have custody. I have know a few people that were registered sex offenders (for having sex with a minor) and they couldn't even live in an apartment complex that had a park. My cousin had to have supervised visits with his son and the only reason he gets him on the weekends now is because he has a live in girlfriend that has to be there at all times. Good luck!!

    Answer by AnnHenderson at 1:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • laugh and don't worry. the court should do its job.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • FYI he is a REGISTEREDsex offender for 2 children under the age of 13 and the case happened within the last 3 years

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • custody court almost always sides with the mother even when the dad is not a sex offender. but because he is a sex offender he should not be able to get custody. my uncle is a registered sex offender, and he has to have supervised visitation with his children. which is how i think it should be. he commited his crim when he was 22 and he is now in his 40's and he still has it on him and still has to be supervised with his shildrens mother while he sees them. so you shouldnt sweat it.

    Answer by michelle.coppes at 1:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • In my state (Washington) a convicted felon cannot get custody. Just visitation and in your case I would think it would definitely be supervised. But don't walk into court without a lawyer.

    Answer by AuntieM at 1:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • Seriously..hire a damn good lawyer!! If he does get visitation..It better be supervised!!

    Answer by sydsmom2 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

  • i dont think u have anything to worry about. the only way i see him getting custody is if the jude himself is a sex offender, which i HIGHLY doubt. just be on the safe side and get a lawyer.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.