I'm extremely pissed off...vent

So, I dropped my DD off at daycare(she’s 2). She goes to a private daycare that is attached to a school. This morning, a 5 year old in kindergarten walks up and bites her…not once, but twice. She hits him, and I pull her away and say “no, you do not hit”. Then, I turn to him and tell him that he knows better and he should not bite. Well, both are crying so, I go talk to the Pastor that runs the church/school.
He tells me that I should not have scolded the 5 year old and they do not condone hitting. So, I’m so mad I could spit nails. I say “what about biting”…he in turn says that they do not condone that either but seemed extremely upset that my 2 year old daughter smacked this 5 year old in the face. So, I want to meet with the child’s mother tomorrow morning.
Is this normal behavior for a 5 year old? You should see the bruises on my DD’s arm. I’m so pissed off.

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in

• you have every right to be upset. And the pastor is out of line. Maybe he wouldnt have gotten smacked if he kept his teeth to himself. And i think it's a good idea for you to meet with the mom.
    Mamma2E

Answer by Mamma2E at 9:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would take pics!!!!! My son got bit a daycare, he was 2, the other boy was 6!!! Daycare closed after I showed pics of the bite, bleeding. I was SUPER pissed.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• WOW! I would be pissed myself! I think its a good idea your meeting his mother!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Your 2 year old dd was defending herself while the 5 year old boy at this point should have known better to behave like that.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• not that I would ever encourage hitting, but your child was hurt by this boy, and she protected herself.
    sounds like the pastor was responding in a CYA way.

but I think you're right to meet with the mother of this kid.
    hope this kid gets out of this biting phase, and fast!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• This may be extreme but I would take pictures of the bite marks and march my child to the police department and file assault charges against the five year old. Since the Pastor doesn't want to handle the situation I would be finding someone that did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You should not have scolded someone elses child. That was overstepping your bounds. YOu daughter was right to slap that kid, she was protecting herself and you did right by telling her that hitting is not nice.

Anon: the police department would LAUGH at that. They do not have time for useless charges that nothing will happen with. The kid is 5 not 15.

I have worked in childcare and the pastor should have taken the matter to the director of the day care. Take pictures and be calm when you talk to the boys mother. While it's not normal behavior for a 5 year old to bite, there could be reasons. Is the child abused at home? Does the child have a behavorial or other disorder that is affecting judgment or development? It is not always cut and dry. Put ice on the bite and the bruise will go away pretty quickly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• no 5year should know better and the pastor bwas wrong
    sweetaspie57

Answer by sweetaspie57 at 7:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2011