How does one move on her own to a different state w/o much money?

I'm back to working, have been for five months now. But like most of the jobs in my area, cutbacks are prevalent. I'm actually driving across state line from Kansas to Missouri to work. I live outside of Kansas City so I won't be able to take advantage of the interstate tax writeoff available for those in the KC area. We're still on a hiring freeze, two departments have been cut, more services are going online (versus person to person), and more cutback are in the talks. And the truth about me is, before I got this job, I was struggling to find work that gave any sense of stable hours.

For the holidays, I drove my car to visit family in Houston. I looooooove Texas. The business diversity, the energy and the things to do (that are actually interesting). And best of all, Houston doesn't see snow!!!! (I am so sick of winter).
I really want to find a salaried job that I can base my life on. And what I saw in Texas, I believe that I will find that job!! Plus, my sister says that the programs for the wayward in Houston have plenty to offer to help those to find their feet.

With the income instability that I have been experiencing, I'm really strapped. And, I don't believe that I will ever get the financial traction where I'm at to make the move comfortably. I feel that there is a strong chance that I will have to declare myself indigent to get a solid and safe start using these programs in Houston. (I cannot move in with my sister since she has a new husband and a blended family to care for in her small house within the business loop.)

How does an educated and experienced (but financially poor) lady make a move on her own that is safe? How does one declare herself indigent while keeping her esteem and the confidence of others? (My daughter lives in a college dorm as a student.)

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Find yourself a job before you go - this way you will be guaranteed income as soon as you get there. Since you have family in the area see if you can stay with them for a few days or better yet if they will help you find a place to stay when you get there (some place inexpensive but in a decent part of town). Save as much as you can before you go, moving is expensive and as soon as possible unpack the necessities (I do bathroom and kitchen first) so that you won't have to buy things you already have when you move.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You might be able to find a job that will pay or partially pay to move you. Have you visited Houston during the summer? If not, you might want to do that before you move. Houston is extremely hot and humid. I have been a Texan my whole life, and I was miserable the 7.5 years I spent in Houston. You also have to contend with the occasional hurricane or tropical storm.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• have your sister or family that you have there help you out as much as you can. Have them find whats nearest to your sister thats affordable to live in, even if it means borrowing money if they trust you. Be sure to always find a way to pay them back for all the work they would put into it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Why not look for work before you go? If you are looking for professional jobs many of them will pay relocation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You get the job BEFORE you move.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Find a job with an employer who will pay your relocation expenses

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Nobody knows your business but you.Realize there is nothing you cannot do!use family if possible.You will never know until you try.You will find you are not alone.Just do it dear.Call every service you can for benefits available.try for a state job,or other where you can advance quicker.look at the world as your oyster,not burden.If we all gave up where would we be?
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2011