How do i get my 10 month old to sleep through out the whole night?

I have recently cut back from breastfeeding the whole day to just feeding at night before he goes to bed, but I noticed now he just wants to eat the whole night, i dont even think he eats, He just wants that comfort of having me there. I cant sleep the whole night because if i take my breast out he will wake up looking for it or starts crying. He does take Formula but he wont take it at night if he feels me next to him. He is 10 months now, shouldnt he be sleeping the whole night? does anyone know anything I can go to maybe have him wake up just once at night to feed? I wake up at 4:30 am for work so I need all the sleep I can get.

MommaPBF

Asked by MommaPBF at 9:57 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• unfortunately some babies just DON'T sleep through the whole night, my son is almost TWO and still doesn't some nights... and I've tried everything. Some of the things that worked were shifting bedtime and naps to make sure he's real tired when you are putting him down. You make sure he has the biggest meal of the day right before bed, you try giving him a bath and rubbing some of that sleepy time lotion on him J&J make it, it's purple and it smells like lavender. There is also sleep training... it might sound harsh but this is what worked for us - you do everything you can to make sure he's comfortable, then you leave him be. If he's crying (and you are sure he's safe just upset) you let him cry for 5 mins before getting him. You do this for a couple days, even up to a week. Then you start waiting 10 mins. Then once everyone's acclimated to that 15. There is no way he should be crying for 20 mins. Mine finally realized
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 10:06 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• WELL WHEN MY SON WAS A BABY I AT THAT TIME WOULD FEED HIM SOME BABY OATMEAL IN A BABY BOTTLE AND PUT SOME BREAST MILK IN WITH IT AND YOU CAN US A LITTLE OF FORMULA WITH THE BREAST MILK MY SON WAS THE SAME WAY TAKE IT IN SMALL AMOUNTS.
    auntie335

Answer by auntie335 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• it's way less effort to try and calm down and be happy. This only works if this is about fits and they aren't uncomfortable. Is he teething? Does he have bad gas? Your pediatrician might also have some insight. ALSO, if you want to acclimate him to formula you can mix a bottle half and half with warm breast milk to start with, then get that "baby water" from your grocery store, it has fluoride in it - to pacify them.
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 10:08 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• There is NO age for sleeping all night. He will do if and when HE is ready. Anything you do only makes you feel you're doing something... it's still ALL ON HIM.

And notice said "if?" I'm 47, and only sleep ALL NIGHT when I'm very sick. Waking is normal. It's early to expect self soothing from him. He'll do it when he's ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If he was nursing less at night when you were nursing more during the day, then nurse more during the day. Babies often make up for missed feedings during the night, so the standard advice is to nurse as much as possible during the day.

He misses you, I'm sure, and that's his way of being close to you. It's a compliment, really. :)

And no, not all babies are sleeping through at 10 months. At best it's 50/50, but I'd dare to guess that majority aren't sleeping through yet at that age. My first was 2 before sleeping the entire night and my 21 mo old is nursing 3-4 times a night still. Very, very normal.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:50 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My son is almost 11 months old. I have BF three babies and I did not start cutting out feedings until they were having whole milk after they turned one. I didn't want them to have to try to drink formula for those couple of months and deal with an upset stomach, yet they still need the nurtients from breast milk. I recommend resuming as many day feedings as possible and then just try to sooth him other ways at night. My son now doesn't so much want to nurse if he can feel that I am there. I can rub his back or hold his hand and he falls back to sleep and only occasionally I have to nurse him. It is comfort for him at night and not so much eating. After he is eating better at the table, that is when I start cutting out the boob. Trust me, I am counting the days!! lol Hang in there....=)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2011