my 2 year old cries when i offer her the regular cup!

how am i suppose to get her to learn how to drink from a regular cup when she pitches a fit everytime i offer it to her? i always offer water in it but ive been so desperate lately that ive put milk and juice in it cause i know she would drink those before drinking water. but even then she turns up her nose and flat out refuses. she turned 2 in december, shouldn't she atleast be attempting to by now? can the sippy cup be a comfort object?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, if it were me I would give her a little while longer on a sippy. It just does not sound like she is ready for a regular cup.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• YES IN HER EYES IT MIGHT BE BUT IT DOESN'T HURT TO KEEP TRYING THOW DON'T GET UPSET ABOUT IT STUFF LIKE THIS DOES TAKE A LITTLE TIME EVEN AT 2 YEARS OLD SO YOU WILL DO JUST FINE KEEP ASKING HER THOW I WOULD MY NIECE SHE IS 2 YEARS OLD AND SHE IS STILL ON A SIPPY CUP AND SHE CAN'T GET A WAY WITH HAVING IT. IF IT IS A SOFT TOP THAT SHE DRINKS OUT OF I WOULD STOP GIVING HER THOWS AND GET THE HARD TOPS MY NIECE HATES THOWS TO BUT SHE IS NOW DRINKING OUT OF THEM NOW AND SHE DOES COMPLAIN SOME TIMES THAT SHE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE HER OLD SIPPY BACK BUT WE DON'T GIVE IT TO HER.
    auntie335

Answer by auntie335 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• yeah I wouldnt take her sippy from her yet....mine is 2.5 and still on it. I dont really care to take her off anytime soon. When we are out she will drink from a straw, so I dont ever carry 1 with me. My other 2 were probably 4 when they started to drink from a regular cup at home. Dont rush her, she is still little :D
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 10:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• What's the rush? Just let her have her sippy cup. Most likely she wont be still carrying it around as an adult. Even if she is, who cares?
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Let her develop her skills and when she feels more comfortable she will go to a big girl cup.

karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 12:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• thanks :) i keep making the mistakes of comparing her milestones with my oldest (4 now). she could drink from a regular cup by her 2nd birthday. her milestones are all i know of as a parent, and i just assume that my middle child should be doing those things around the same age.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• my daughter is about to be 2 in april and wont get off a bottle so i think you should keep trying but its no rush she still a big girl
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2011