What do you do with your kids when it is sooo cold that you cannot go outside. I have a 5 year old and 2 year old. I feel like I am running out of ideas.

allmomma

Asked by allmomma at 10:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we play indoor games, puzzles, crafts, bake, hideNseek, read books together, i get help with SOME housework, watch a movie, build forts using blankets/furniture. there's always something to do.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:26 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I WOULD PUT ON SPECIAL MOVIES AND PLAY GAMES AND MY BE DO SOME CRAFTS AND MAYBE DO SOME COOKING MY SON LOVES HELPING ME IN THE KITCHEN AND HELPING PICK UP AROUND THE HOUSE SOME TIMES TOO BUT I WOULD GO TO GAMES AND MOVIE TIME.
    auntie335

Answer by auntie335 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• search preschool lesson plans online!!! :-) Educational activities designed for classrooms, which are: inside! Not all of them will work because your two year old might not get them... so you will have to weed through. We also use tempra paints to paint our windows, it comes off with a wet warm wash cloth and soap and it's a fun craft!!!

here is one site that might be helpful, good luck!
    http://www.lessonplanspage.com/

select a subject and then an age range. :-)
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 10:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You shouldnt have to do anything with them....dont they just dissapear and play in their rooms? My kids entertain eachother....every now and then I have to give them a craft or something but for the most part they play together.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 10:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• not sure what you are doing with them now, we usually color, play games, put music on and dance around the house, make cookies and brownies, read books, watch a movie..I have even had my kids help with laundry, I think you just need to give them things to do and if you have things that need to get done around the house put a movie on,

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Thanks Ladies, we have tried some of those things and they love to do those things but I feel like we have cabin fever. They are two very energetic boys and we have only 930 square feet so they are jumping off the walls and sometimes at each other's throats. I have one class that we are in on Wednesdays and that is all we can afford so I guess I need some ideas for cheap or free things we can get out and do. I have done the Target, Wal-mart trips to just look around maybe I just need to vent.
    allmomma

Comment by allmomma (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My girls will play in their rooms for awhile by themselves. But sometimes they play wii or leapster, computer, cook cookies, help clean up some but mainly just their messes. But sometimes when they get crazy I put them each in a room (3 girls) and then things come down a little and then back to playing nicely. Some other things they like to do is color, play school, I have some things they can make to keep them busy. I even have a secert stop for stuff that they have not seen and pull out on days when need them. Just things like a new book to read,sticker or puzzle books, new play dah, and that helps some.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 10:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• watch movies, tv, play games, play their v-smile or wii, read and they love to do puzzles.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:53 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I've been stuck at home w/my 4-year0old for two days now, but luckily we can go out and play in the snow.

We have been baking a lot, but mostly he's been occupying himself with a yard stick. Go figure! He loves it. He's pretending it's an airplane - it's kept him happy for HOURS.

What I have ready in case the yard stick suddenly loses its appeal is painting projects and other art/craft projects, and indoor tent to put up, and some cleaning activities he might want to help with (pulling everything out of a certain area and organizing it - he loves to help with stuff like that).

Good luck to you!!!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Check out your library programs - is there a story time or pre-K program offered? We used to go to themed craft and activity days which occasionally included things like an animal parade in which the cabin-fevered kids were the animals. :) Find yourself a big box. If you don't have them, look behind supermarkets and stores. Hand it over to the kids and let them go wild creating a new world. We had big box trains, planes, hide-aways. Do you have any parks with an indoor nature center? We have a couple by us and we've spent many a cold, crazy winter day staring at snacks behind class and talking to the lady feeding the turtles. We would do science experiments too - we blew up volcanos. We'd make stars by poking holes in tin foil pulled tight over a flashlight, then find a dark closet to hide in together and make-up stories of our constellations. Have a dance party. Bundle up and go outside - even a quick sprint saps the energy
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011