What's your opinion on Bipolar Disorder?

I'm curious how much people actually know about Bipolar Disorder. I am Bipolar, and have a huge family history...my son was recently diagnosed as well. I think the more educated we are on mental illnesses, the better support for the sufferers and their familys.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Health

• My opinion is that sometimes it is misunderstood and sometimes the people that have it sre also. It is rough for everyone in the family and you have to work around thier schedule which can be hard for the family members that do not have it. Crowds, get togethers and disruption in schedules that are not planned are triggers. Also the word "no" is a trigger. I think with meds and therapy that it can be treated and the person(s) can lead a normal life.
    I have 2 boys with mood disorders( bipolar is more or less for sure in the oldest). It is so hard for them and both my boys are on meds and the oldest also has cormorbid issues. I actaully caught it earlier in my younger son because my oldet son has it and myself and his dr was watching for it. They have good and bad days and sometimes the simplist things like going to the store are very hard for me to do.
    Nakor21

Answer by Nakor21 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i think its very damaging to an individuals functioning and can be catastrauphic if not handled properly
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• There is alot of info out on the web about Bi-Polar, and with a family history of it myself, I know what your going through. There isn't enough public knowledge in the world for anyone to really understand it unless they've witnessed a bi-polar person. I seriously hope that insurance companies and medical professionals start to realize and make aware how severe the disease can be.
    AbbysMom059

Answer by AbbysMom059 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I have family members with Bi-Polar, it did alot of damage to them and people around them. This is something that needs to be treated by a doctor not only with meds but also with a conselor to help it be understood better. Some doctors will permit occasional family sessions. That will help others to be more understanding of it.

I hope everything goes fine with your son and his understanding of it.
    maddysmommy907

Answer by maddysmommy907 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• This country is in the dark ages in regards to mental illness and it's treatments. The current practice is to "stabilize and release"..it is not only ineffective, but can be dangerous. We have a world of trouble brewing if something is not done. It was in the news just yesterday that some mental health patients are waiting in ER waiting rooms for over 24 hours just to get help or a bed. It is a serious problem with no easy answers.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• We have discusse this topic and absolutely 100% would we NOT place our children on drugs...we would simply do the research and figure out how to teach our child in the way that is best for them to learn...In psychology we went over BI-poar and my teacher is a ferm believer that is does exist and we learned that these people are very unpadictable...and go threw emotional highs and lows at the drop of a dime..unexplaned mood changes..it is a chemical inbalance in the brain and yes the RIGHT drug will work but will have to be forever...I hope this help's I am not sure what your question is exactly ...but good luck !
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My sister is bi-polar and refuses to accept medication. She is now 58 and has lead a miserable life. Seek help and follow through. A lifetime of regulated emotions or a lifetime of hell for you and everyone in contact with you.
    Bevner

Answer by Bevner at 2:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My 11 yr old was diagnosed BiPolar 3 yrs ago. It took a lot of misdiagnosis and alot of trial and error to get her on track,but we have went thru alot of DRs and alot of me nagging the so called professionals to get results. I am my childs only advocate.
    Supermom253

Answer by Supermom253 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2008