No diolation.. does that mean anything?

Im 37 weeks pregnant. And my cervix has only slightly thinned. Does it really mean there's no hopes for going into labor anytime soon? I mean, i feel if nothing is progressing "down there" than i mus'nt be progressing at all ! I'm also worried because i'm supposed to be induced on the 24th of this month that's IF i start to diolate.

(i've tried walking, but felt no difference whatsoever)

sbushman13011

Asked by sbushman13011 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's funny, you can dilate from nothing to 3 almost overnight! I was dilated to 3 for weeks before I had my middle child, my friend had a checkup, no dilation, went into labor two days later. I don't really think it means much.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• DILATE......you are only 37 weeks. Some women don't dilate until 39, 40 weeks right before they deliver.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• a lot of women go late their first go around... there is a lot that goes into it but honestly it doesn't necessarily mean anything that you haven't dilated yet. When you are read to go, you will start going FAST. Some women dilate to 1/2 for months, some don't. Everyone's body is different and in reality this could mean nothing.

btw, sex helps soften the cervix, and if you get REALLY (and I mean REALLY desperate) closer to 40 wks then try drinking castor oil. It's terrible, but if you are ready to go (wait, please) then your body will usually get the message. GOOD LUCK! and CONGRATS!
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 10:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• There's still plenty of time. But see reply I put in your other post. Your cramps can be contractions. That may mean you are starting to dialate. Be patient these last three weeks are critical to lung development.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• never drink castor oil to induce labor, it can cause A LOT of problems. the best thing to do is just wait, your body will be ready whenever it's (and your baby) is ready. and you could start dilating overnight, or a week from now, but dilation doesn't always mean labor is around the corner. you could be dilated for weeks before your body goes into labor. just relax, keep walking, it's good for you! gl :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I've had 5 and I never dilated until I went into labor (well, only like 1 cm), but I never went more than 3 days past my due date

Answer by missanc at 10:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It is kind of silly for doctors to check for early dilation. When you're in labor, you know it. You can walk around dilated to a 4 for weeks before labor begins. Or you can go from nothing to complete in no time. You are only 37 weeks, give your body time. When it is time for the baby to come, you'll dilate.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:26 AM on Jan. 11, 2011