Uses for Buttermilk?

I have a quart and a half. (I was making biscuits and asked DH to get some for me - he bought plenty!!)

I know I can make waffles/pancakes/more biscuits - but what else can I do with it? (No one here will drink it.)

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 10:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I use it in cornbread, too, and it will keep a long time--much longer than just regular milk. Also, I make a buttermilk sauce that I serve warm and pour over warm chocolate cake that is a family favorite.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Freeze it. Pour it into an icecube tray and when the cubes have set up pop them out and put them in a freezer bag. My icecube tray makes cubes that are 2 T (you might want to check yours). I do this with leftover stock too, it's easy to store and use.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• BUTTERMILK COOKIES THERE THE BEST AND YOU DON'T REALLY TASTE THE MILK IN THEM AND THERE NOT TO SWEET I THINK YOU SHOULD TRY THAT..
    auntie335

Answer by auntie335 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• make a sweet buttermilk pie!! yummy!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• pan cakes, pound cake, all sorts of stuff. Just hit AllRecipes.com for some.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My mom makes buttermilk brownies - I'm not sure of her recipe, but it makes a huge pan (11x15), it's in the brownies and in the frosting, and she uses almost a quart for the 1 pan...they are really good too! My banana bread recipe calls for 1 cup of buttermilk...lots of recipes use it instead of regular milk, and you can use in in place of regular milk in a lot of baked stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Buttermilk sauce over chocolate cake sounds really good!

Freezing it is a great idea, but we're moving in 3 weeks :(
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Mmmm, buttermilk cookies - that sounds good too!
    Scuba

• Coat chicken to fry... make extra biscuits to freeze or give to a special someone... google recipes using buttermilk :)

My DH does that same thing - lol
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2011