Vasectomy adult content

My hubby and I do NOT want anymore kids. 3 is enough. I was going to get a tubal done but the cost was going to be so much more than if he got done. I'm so scared though about it not working. Have you heard of men who got the procedure done and it didn't work? Should we still use protection after he gets it done to be safe? I got pregnant all 3 times and it only took ONE try with each child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Health

• After the procedure they will check his ejaculate for sperm a week later. My understanding is that a vasectomy is pretty much a guaranteed method of birth control. (As long as its done by an experienced doctor).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:57 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Approximate cost: tubal ligation = $2,500; vasectomy = $750 - 850

• Vasectomy is simpler, safer, cheaper and takes less time to recover from than tubal ligation. Their failure rates are just about the same: 1 in 2,000.

http://www.malehealthcenter.com/c_vasectomy.html

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Hubby went back to get a count done afteward, just to be sure. It's been 11 years and we've had no problems - and I got pregnant with both of mine while using birth control.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• my husband had it done over 8 years ago and we have not had any problems. They do check about a week later to make sure that it worked. I am sure like with anything else there is a small chance of getting pregnant because it doesn't work, although I know lots of people whose husbands have gotten them and none of them have gotten pregnant.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• One of the reasons people get pregnant after Vas is because they do not wait to see if it is safe.

Another reason is they just cut, they should cut them short and burn the ends. Ask your doctor about that.

my hubby got his 20 years ago and most of the men in the family and no one has had any problems.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It is EXTREMELY rare for someone to get pregnant after a vasectomy. I can say I know of one person who it happened to but it is an oddity.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• my husband had it done a year ago in March - so far so good! we have 3 and we decided that was enough for us as well. we're also extremely fertile and got pregnant on the first tries. we have had plenty of opportunity to get pregnant now if the V didn't take - and i can tell you honestly that it has taken! we waited a little while to have sex without protection.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My husband had it done 11 years ago. His doctor wouldn't do it until the youngest child was 2 yrs or older (past the SIDS age).
    With our insurance - it cost us $10 - the co-pay for the visit to the docs.
    And because my husband was a "super" sperm producer - it took a while to get a complete clean count and for his doctor - clean count meant NO sperm....not just only dead sperm.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I have had too many friends get pregnant after their husbands got a vasectomy for my comfort. Same thing with tubal ligations. So that is why I went with Essure.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My DH had one several years ago. No issues what-so-ever. To the poster that says she had "too many friends get pregnant after their husbands got a vasectomy", Really? It is such a rarity that I find it odd that you know so many this happened to, are you sure they got pregnant by their DHs?
    MrsDavid

Answer by MrsDavid at 12:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.