Why are people in such a rush?

Why give babies cereal or food before six months old? Why rush introducing things like milk and eggs? A child is only a baby for a short period of time. Why rush things? I just don't understand why people give their babies food so soon. Babies digestive systems aren't even fully developed until they're six months old. And to all of you that say your pediatrician gave you the okay, well doctors are people to, and they aren't always right, they make mistakes. Do a little bit of research, and you'd find that the CDC and the AAP caution against giving babies food so young.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i agree 100% but that is just MY opinion i know others can and WILL think differently.
    But they are the parent.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I understand that it's a parent's choice, but why choose something that isn't the best thing for your baby?
    Anonymous

• I agree with you, but like Kelso said, they're not our babies :D

I think maybe SOME people out there are in a rush to stop buying expensive formula and want to get their babies on "real food" ASAP. So then they can just start doing regular grocery shopping and won't have to stop by the baby section to buy formula.

I dunno, it's a thought. Kind of selfish and weird...but I'm sure at least one mother in the world thinks that way.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• doctors (who go to school for 8 years) are smarter than the internet!
    Anonymous

• my child wasnt satisfied with just the formula at a certain age and she wasnt real fond of the baby cereals either so i started her on gerber fruits and veggies and she loved them and did well with them so no harm no foul
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• i have no idea. There is a lot of stuff out there that are used on babies that no one question but a small majority of people but can be bad long term for them and i wonder why they do it.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Its the same as breastfeeding though. It is better for them but some parents decide not d do it. its their prerogative.

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Doctor's are smarter than credited, researched websites like cdc.gov or aap.org? Have all doctors done their own research on babies digestive systems and food allergies? No.

To the previous post, good for you that your daughter did well with the foods. But what if she hadn't? What if giving her food so early had caused her to develop allergies? You didn't know what was going to happen, why would you take the risk? You say she wasn't satisfied with formula, but how do you know that? Did she tell you that? Did you ever think that maybe if she was fussing, it had nothing to do with hunger? Or maybe she just needed a little bit more formula?
    Anonymous

• for me it wasn't a matter of wanting him to grow up, it was a matter of he was no longer satisfied and I wasn't making milk fast enough in large enough quantities for him. He was 5 months. 6 months is not a magic number. Every child has different needs. As a parent you just have to listen to what it is they need, and provide it for them. I would love to keep him small forever. They all do things at different times. My daughter walked at 10 months and my son still won't let go and do it on his own at 15 months. Why would food be any different. Their digestive tract does not have an alarm that goes off when it's ready for food....then again, if they are crying because they want more...maybe it does.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 1:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I was in a hurry to introduce my son to cereal because formula was no longer filling him up. Other than that I let him tell me when he was ready.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 1:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2008