Snowed in: Day 2.

OMG! The kids are insane! We couldn't stay outside long yesterday because we are in Ga and not really prepared for hours of playing in snow and today we are stuck inside because the snow is now a solid sheet of ice. What can I do with these kids. WE already did a movie, music/dancing, play doh, toys... We might bundle up and try to walk to the store... It's about a mile.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 11:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Just for Fun

• My son was so excited yesterday about the snow. That is until we went outside and the snow kept getting in his shoe like you described. He wanted to know why he didn't have snow boots, lol. After about 10 minutes he was ready to come in and he has been bouncing off the walls because he hates staying at home for long periods of time. I got a newsletter from GA Park Rangers about a bird activity/lesson. We are about to do that right now. Let me see if I can find the link, and I will post it here.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• im jealous :( ill trade your snow day for my typical (but slightly chilly) florida day. what part of GA are you in? i have a few friends in the Cumming area, they're on day 2 of snow day as well! but they're natural bred floridians and are out playing in it, rubbing it in the rest of us floridian's faces! grrr
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i like mandatory reading time, either in segments (15 minutes time 4) or even for 30-45 minutes. Everyone needs a quiet break, and they have to keep up on their reading anyway!

And boxing on the Wii, it's good exercise!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We had to have wrestling time last night so they could all get their wiggles out. I think ours may take a snow walk today, too. Maybe that'd be enough to get their wiggles out today.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:22 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We can't go anywhere either. My husband tried this morning when he got home from work (he had to have a friend pick him up and take him to and from work). This activity can be done at home and it is a good lesson since there are a lot of birds out right now.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• how about bringing some snow inside? Break some of the ice to get to the snow. Spread a garbage bag on kitchen floor and let the kids have at it. You can use pails and shovels too.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 12:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We're on our 2nd snow-day too - it's different for us though, we're in the midwest, school was cancelled yesterday due to too much snow falling too fast and plows not being able to keep up, today because of wind blowing that snow into drifts closing off the roads & extremely cold temps (actual temp below zero, windchill in the -30-40s). Most everytihng else is going like normal, mail is going out as usual, other trucking jobs are as usualy, etc - it's just too dangerous for the kidlets. Too cold to play outside, we're just kind of bumming. DH will be home from his job soon then I'll leave for the 2nd half of mine (he's USPS, I'm pony express mail delivery) and he'll deal with their craziness!
    Anonymous

• play games or bake cookies
    galfromwva

Answer by galfromwva at 3:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Definitely bundle up and walk to the store! The more time they spend outside scrabbling around in it, the more tired they'll be. People who aren't used to playing in the snow are exhausted by the extra effort in just walking.

Tip: take water (you can bring heated water, too, it's a good use of a thermos or two) and trail mix or something else high-calorie, high protein and high sugar, along with you. Before you get there, at least one of you (and maybe it will be you) will be 'bonking' --the hiking word for 'totally out of energy, coordination, cope' and is a symptom of dehydration and hunger that comes on suddenly when using a lot more energy than usual.

Bonking's first symptoms are mental --because your body runs out of sugar/fuel for your brain when it's using a more-than-usual amount to fuel muscles. Peanut butter cookies are good, but the best is peanuts, raisins, and chocolate chips. Or other dried fruits or nuts.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011