how do i get my ds to take a bottle?

i have been exclusively breastfeeding him for the past 5 months. i have had success pumping so now i want to give him a bottle so that i can have my spa day dh got me for christmas, but we cant seem to get him to take a bottle no matter what. any ideas on how to encourage him to eat from a bottle.
if he sees the bottle, he gets mad. he wont even let it near his mouth. we have tried a few diff nipple types and thought we found one he liked, but after that one success he refuses it just as he did the others. idk what to do. please help with any ideas. thanks.

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 11:13 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had that problem with mt youngest. I had to leave the house and only let someone else give her the bottle. Its tough, but something to remember is babies will not starve themselves...eventually he will take the bottle. It might just be rough on whoever is watching him.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Are you the one feeding him the bottle or is someone else trying?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:15 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If you are in the room, it's doomed. **smile** **

Imagine this: You're visiting your mom, who just took your FAVORITE cookies out of the oven. You can smell them... but when you reach for them, she pushes your hand away and hands you a packet of stale water crackers. You'd think she was losing it, right?

Your breasts = fresh cookies. Baby SMELLS them.

Bottle = stale crackers!

Let someone ELSE give the bottle while you go out. Or even a sippy cup,,, baby is well old enough.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Some time when he's hungry, that's the best time to try. (not when he's starving though or he may throw a fit)
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Someone else has to give it to him. He knows what you usually give him. But you can just go to your spa day. If he is hungry he will take the bottle. If he doesn't drink at all while you are gone, he will nurse when you get home. He will be fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• what is the big deal to wait until your son is ready?
    I agree with the above posters about leave and let someone else do it like DH but I still dont understand why you'd 'want' to do that? its different if you 'had to'
    remember someday your little man might have the choice to sit down and spoon feed his Mama in her nursing home bed or going to the day spa himself- this stage of his life now wont last forever so enjoy it while you have it
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 1:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• ok, melrn, u obviously dont have more than 2 kids. bc if u had 3 and were a stay at home mom who NEVER gets to have personal space u would understand the desire for a little pampering.

i have tried going to the other room. i made my dh try for 30 mins to no avail. i wanted him to try longer bc when we started ds wasnt starving, just a lil hungry. but idk. i would hate to leave my dh with all three kids and have ds scream the whole 6 hrs i am gone.
    Phippsandrea

Comment by Phippsandrea (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011