how can i get my daughter to stop sucking her finger

She is almost 5 and sucks her pointer finger (upsidedown) when she is tired. She has done this so much that she has a sore right above her first knuckle from her teeth rubbing that she calls her "never go away boo boo" and it doesn't go away. It looks so sore and i want to get it healed up but can't until i can get rid of her habit. HELP!!!!!

mccalld79

Asked by mccalld79 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• have you tried putting a bandaid on it and telling her it's a reminder to not suck it. Then tell her that every day she comes home and it's not wet she'll earn a sticker and when she has enough of them a toy. (or some variation of it) You got to make her want to stop but she needs a reminder.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We don't have the issue during the day she does it at night in bed. i could try to give her a sticker if she wakes up with it still dry. Hard to break habits that they do in their sleep though :) Thanks for the idea!
    mccalld79

Comment by mccalld79 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I sucked my thumb until I was 6. What got me to stop? I flipped over my handle bars and knocked my 2 front teeth loose. I was told if I sucked my thumb they would stay loose and fall out then I would have to have surgery. Not saying you should knock her teeth loose. lol. But maybe a talk with a doctor about cause and effect will help her get the idea that it's time to stop on her own.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Maybe put vinegar on her finger before she goes to bed
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:31 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Leave her be, especially if it is only when she is sleeping. Thumb or finger sucking is a self soothing technique. She will stop when she is ready and not before.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I wish I could help but we are having the same issue. She is developing exzema from it just like your child is. Here's a bump.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2011