Breastfeeding and going back to work.

I am pregnant with my 1st and plan to breastfeed. I get 12 wks maternity leave and then it's back to work. For the working moms, how did you continue to breastfeed? How many times a day did you pump? Could you pump ahead of time at home? I'm just wondering how I'm going to do this. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i'm a stay at home mom so i don't have firsthand experience on this issue but here are some links to some very helpful information:
    mother article--pumping 9 to 5:
    http://www.mothering.com/articles/new_baby/breastfeeding/pumping-9-to-5.html

kellymom--working and pumping:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bf-links-pumping.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I work full time and I breast fed my youngest. I pumped 3 times a day at first, then 2 times and gradually I stopped (my daughter is now 1). I did pump ahead so that I had a supply for my first day of work. I also liked to have some in my freezer in case I had to go somewhere with out her. I did it with my youngest and my oldest so if you need any more advice let me know!
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Exactly what jspy72  said!

I came back to work when my son was about 6 months old I pumped until my son was about 13 months old.  I slowly cut out one session at a time and avoided engorgement, etc.  It's definitely possible!  I would strongly suggest a double pump and a comfy chair.

Congratulations and best wishes!

ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I am a working mother, and I pump. The few weeks before I went back to work, I pumped after every feeding to get a good supply going in the freezer. Even if you are only able to get an ounce or two at each session, every ounce counts.

Make sure to invest in a good double electric pump. I bought the Lansinoh Double Electric Pump, I found it at Target. It's much cheaper than the Medela, at only $149. And I haven't had any problems with it.

I work 8 hour shifts, and I pump first thing in the morning, when you're able to get the most, and then I pump twice at work. I also have to pump at home all the time in order to keep up with her.

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• (con't)

I've also started taking fenugreek to increase my supply. I don't have a supply problem, but I've had a hard time pumping enough. When you pump, try to relax as much as you can, and think of your baby to promote letdown. Try looking at a picture of your baby, that always helps me.

Good luck! If you have any more questions feel free to message me!
    kynziesmom

• I went back to work at five weeks, three days a week. I've only been working six hour days so far , but I commute an hour each way. I pump right before I leave in the morning (which has been hard lately, as Baby has been waking up when I do, so I have to feed him, THEN drain the boobs with the pump), once at work, and then usually feed him (or pump, if he's sleeping) as soon as I pick him up.

I think I've gotten really lucky, though, as at ten weeks, I pretty much can just pump whenever I want to and have had no supply problems. I usually don't fill up until I'm preparing to feed or sometimes overnight. So far, everything is working FABULOUSLY! Good luck to you!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• LOL, and to get my letdown going, I usually just THINK about breastfeeding...dammit, here I go! :D
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My daughter is a little over 2 months and I'm still breastfeeding. I'm currently going to school, and I pump during the day. They say you should pump every 3 hours you're away from your baby. They also say you should start pumping and storing your milk 1-2 weeks before you go back to work. I'm currently supplementing as well, but I breastfeed while I'm with her and pump when I'm away.
    nel2359

Answer by nel2359 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2008