Three Year Old In A Bunk Bed?

Would you put your three year old in the top bunk of a bunk bed? I have twins and I'm trying to decide if they are ready for a bunk bed yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well, i have a 3 year old and I wouldn't.. but he is also a very restless sleeper and moves all around.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My DS was in a loft bed at 3 with a safety rail. He did perfect with no issues. Is one a more sound sleeper than the other?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think if you get one that has rails and you feel that he is going to stay in it or you make sure he can get up and down the ladder it should be okay, I guess the only problem you might run into is which one wants to sleep on the top.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I am going to get bunk beds for my 4 yr old(top bunk) and 2 yr old(bottom bunk) with out income taxes
    I would say just use your best judgement. You can also buy the bunk beds that come apart so you can sit them side by side and then when they are ready you can stack them. I would also say you should ge the shorter ones that are only about 5 ft of the ground.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• i would wait til 5. but it probably depends on the child. if you think she'll be okay in one, then by all means! my younger two (currently 11 months and 2 years) will eventually be getting bunkbeds when they're a little older. they share a room and id like to open up their room a bit. my oldest gets her own room.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My 4 year old slept on the top occasionally. He was fine. They are well railed now. My only concern would be if he would try to get down in the middle of the night. Keep a night light on. We bought a great one at Bob's furniture. It doesn't have a ladder, it has stairs. And the stairs pull out to big drawers. It's really a great use of space.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• we have one for Ds and moved him in the bottom when he was 3 but often had 3 yrs old spend the night on top... look for a goood rail and take them to the store to practice gettnig up and doen the one that had stairs sounded ideal...or everthink about a trundle if it is a space issue thing?
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 12:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I wouldn't but if you are trying to save space, you could always look for a trundle bed that you can put under another bed during the day
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My DD was 2 1/2 when started sleeping on top bunk because her older sister did not like the top bunk and sister was known to fall out of bed. The top bunk has safety rails the whole way around. Trust me I would have not put her up there if I though it was going to be an issue. Half the time they share the bottom bunk. There are nice bunk beds that have a full size bed on bottom and a twin on top.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I wouldn't. Just seems a little young for the top bunk.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011