How long after a divorce should you wait to date again?

Or how do you feel about getting into serious relationships after divorce? Is it possible to meet a new love right after you've been seperated/ divorced? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• I would wait a while a divorce can be emotional. Maybe 6 months to a yr for anything serious.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think it depends on why your getting a divorce, and how long the divorce process takes
    I guess if you fall out of love with your DH and in love with someone else your pretty much in a relationship before the marriage ends. Or if the divorce is long and messy and it takes over a year you could be seperated but dating... it all depends
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It is possible. I am proof. I started dating my fiancee and BFF of 15 years only 2 months after my divorce. I did wait over 6 months before the kids became involved. We wanted to make sure that it was a sure thing before we yanked around with their emotions.

i don't think that there is a perfect time only the perfect time for you. Just make sure to keep any children out of the dating until you are SURE that this is the one.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• The longer you wait, the better off you will be. It's always a good idea to spend a lot of time thinking about the mistakes you made the first time around and to learn as much as is possible from them so as not to repeat them. If you jump right back into another emotional attachment without assessing your past failures, you are much more apt to repeat them. This is true of all our mistakes but especially so in marriage and family. If you have children, that's another big consideration and probably another good reason to wait for a pretty good while.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think it depends entirely on you and the circumstances of your divorce. Is your divorce a huge blessing that you feel really good about, or do you need time to grieve? Do you have a habit of jumping from man to man and not having very good judgement about men? Do you have children who need you to focus on their needs for a time following the divorce? It's all subjective, really.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• it depends on a lot of factors. But there are divorce recovery classes and groups out there that will help alot, and you will be able to have open and honest discussions with others that are going through the same situation at the same time, with the help of a trained therapist. This site is good for discussion, but unless you're going to write a few pages as to your marriage, divorce, inner-self, and family situation, how are we to really tell you an answer? Do what you are ready for. if you try dating, and it's confusing, stop and wait. usually (not always) a new love is a rebound. But you can find true love anytime, anywhere.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:48 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It greatly depends.
    If the divorce was a long time coming then you probably are ready to date again shortly after. Compared to if it was abrupt and sudden then it might be good to wait a longer time before getting back out there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I wouldn't involve the children in new relationships until it is completely stable 6 months to a year. Keep casual dating private
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 12:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Depends on the divorce and relationship. I was so emotionally and physically removed from my ex when I filed. I had been wrestling with filing for over a year and he would not work on the relationship problems and finally I realized that I was so miserable around him and if things were not getting better, I couldn't stay and have my son continue to be treated that way and miserable also. Their relationship is good now, we are friendly. He was hurt, angry, all that. I didn't expect to date at all, but met a really nice guy a few months after the divorce started. We took it very slow though, he knew my situation. We're together now and happy and he's met my son and we're in love. I am glad I didn't dismiss him when I met him because I almost did.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Anything is possible.
    augest1

Answer by augest1 at 3:01 AM on Jan. 12, 2011