My dog nips at me when I correct her.

I got this dog from an animal shelter 6 years ago. She is 8 years old now. She can be kind of destructive and she shows signs of having been abused. She listens to my husband very well but he is not home all day and he travels for days at a time. We had a 5 year old when we got her and now have 2 more kids and I am expecting my 4th. I am the ONLY one she has show aggression to. But I am still worried for the safety of my kids. The animal shelter said they will always take a dog back that they had but I feel so bad after 6 years. Do I take her back to the shelter??

SoniaL

Asked by SoniaL at 1:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pets

• I would not put up with any animal that shows aggression. Not after watching my little 4yr old brother get malled by a dog that never even showed aggression before. He's lucky he lived, the dog ripped open his neck and face. It was bad. So be careful..really because you have little ones
    Anonymous

• She needs to learn that you are above her in the pack. When she nips at you, absolutely do not back down. Stand tall, puff out your chest, and tower over her. Take your fingertips and sort of jab at the side of her neck, as if your hand were another dog biting her. Not so hard as to hurt her, just hard enough to send a message. And at the same time sternly and loudly say "NO". If you are consistently dominant in your behavior towards her, she will fall into line. If you can't seem to make any headway with her and she remains aggressive or gets worse, either hire a professional trainer or contact the shelter shere you got her.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Good answer bluefrogmama.I totally agree and that's what I would do. Just be sure you are thinking in your mind that you mean no. They can sense if they think you are afraid, or mean business. Always get your MIND in the right mode so she knows you mean it. Also you may want to make friends by big time praise or treats when she is good for you. Good luck

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:52 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• she thinks she's the alfa to you... so you need to put her in her place, as the dog whisperer says, be calm assertive... you can always start by putting her on her back and force her to submit to you, you gotta do it often, every time she f's up... stare her down, and keep strong eye contact until she looks away... only let her do things if you tell her its on, like jumping on furniture and everything... and most important, take her for walks... i know thats a lot, but good luck...
    starry_mom

Answer by starry_mom at 1:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• read the book " the dog listener" it will help you alot- it's a quick read and you can find it on amazon for cheap.
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 7:27 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I personally wouldn't tolerate that with kids in the house. I'm a big animal person and before I had kids, never thought I would say that. We got our dog when we was 6 wks old and have never had any issues with him and the kids, but if we did, he would be gone in a second. I know people think that sounds mean, but I'm not willing to risk the safety of my childen, or other people's children who come to our home.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 3:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• oh man, this hit real close to home. I adopted a dog from the shelter4 years ago, his name is Bob. Bob always snipped at my hands, always jumped, always whined, always beat the crap out of our other lab, Jake, well, I had twin boys last September. Bob was okay with them all year, 2 months ago he started growling at the boys, so I put gates up so he couldn't be near them. I thought about getting rid of himbut just couldn't think about him going back to a shelter so I tryed to find him a home, last week Bob decided he was going to jump the gate and attack on of my babies, my son had to have surgery to repair his eyelid and forhead. If you think for one moment that your dog is aggresive, get rid of him before it's too late, I wish I would have, I had to put him down last week and tho it was one of the hardest things, he hurt my baby.
    Andrewbrian2

Answer by Andrewbrian2 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2008