Need advice! (Blended Family)

Hello Everyone,

I am desperate need of advice. I have an eight year old little boy and a ten year old daughter.. My son will still not sleep in his bed alone even though we have tried everything to make him sleep in his room. He always sleeps with his sister in her room. My husband thinks that it is a good idea to do away with his bedroom all together since he only uses it to play games (xbox etc.)

My husband and I have been married for a few months and thinks that changes need to occur and has been stressing the importance of trying to make him sleep in his bed. It seems like he becomes very frustrated when the kids dont follow directions, etc. I think it is a little harsh to take a child's bedroom away from them and make him share a room with his sister. My husband has even gone so far to say that we will use part of his room as storage (he has been looking at a clothing dresser to store clothes) until my son is ready to finally sleep in his own room.. My husband was so upset over this that he could not even sleep in the bed last night. He watched tv and stayed on the couch all night in a very bad mood-also very short with me.

I know it is a transistion for him, but I think he is taking it a little too far. He made a statement saying that it seems like he is going to have to find things to do to occupy his time instead of getting upset that the kids do not listen at times. He is off of work today and he said that he would be going to play golf and run errands and that he would be home later than usual. I think that he nerves are bad and he needs time to himself. He is always home with us when he is off of work so I thought a few hours away would give him time to clear his head.

He is a loving person towards me and is towards the kids at times, but at times he treats the kids like they are in the army (very strict). Has anyone ever had to deal with experiences like mine and how did you cope? Please give advice on what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Is this a new behavior for your son or something he has always done? If its new did you ask why he does it?

As far as your husband does he have kids as well? Its going to be an adjustment but running away from the issues is not going to solve anything. I think its good to have time away but not in the sense of it being since I can't deal with this I won't come home.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think it is mean to take his bedroom away but on the other hand he NEEDS to sleep in his own room. Just like he needs his own space, so does his sister and it is not fair that she would have to share a room with him because he isn't doing what he is told. I have a dd and I am getting married. One of the things you need to talk about before getting married when you already have children is how to disipline the children. Better late then never, sit down with your dh and find a way to handle things. Also, explain to your dh that while they need to respect him as he is an adult, they aren't gonna see him as a parent, at least not right away. Good luck.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011