Can my daughter get shingles / chicken pox after being around someone that has shingles?

My 5 year old has not had either and was around her grandpa that has the shingles. Can she get them or the chicken pox?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• She sure can! Hopefully she is to date withher chicken pox shot? if she is sheshould be okay I think
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 12:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Um as far as I know, yes. Dosn't mean she will, but it's a good possibilty.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Has your daughter had the Chicken Pox vaccine? If so, then probably not. If she has not had chicken pox or the vaccine, then yes, because Shingles is highly contagious.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Yes it's certainly possible that she could get either!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Most babies get that vaccine, did she? If not, she can.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• you know,, i still have never had them and i keep touching evryone that has had them! some people just do not get them.
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 12:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If she is around the person that has chicken pox when they have the fever she is at most risk, as far as shingles as another mom said it is highly contagious. I daughter was around children when they got chicken pox and when they had the fever and never got them. some people dont. But dont mess with shingles, I work in a hospital and we have to gown up and wear gloves and the patient has a sign on the door to do so.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I had shibgles and it was like a rash made of alot of stinging bubbles, bug bites and my skin burned. But they gave me Acyclovir and it went away quickly. I had chicken pox first when I was in grade school, 40 years earlier. Chicken pox is rare nowday because kids are vaccinated.. But if the do get chicken pix,it comes first, then later Shingles.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2011