Help my son won't leave the cat alone!

We just got a cat from a shelter. She is very shy and likes to be left alone. In fact she is great at hiding, lol. My four year old won't leave her alone! He has to go find her every friggin minute. I tell him to leave her alone and he listens for about 5 seconds then he is after her again. Help!

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 12:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Pets

• When my daughter was young I made my bedroom the animals safe room. I told Kylie that when the cats or even the dogs went in there she could not go in there at all. It worked pretty well. I did use a baby gate in the beginning to keep her out of my room but the cats could come and go freely
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Let the cat in a room where you can shut the door.
    Anonymous

• My kids are 4 and 5, Have grown up with the 2 cats we have and they STILL do the same thing!! We have an almost 10 yr old cat and a 1 1/2 yr old cat. They get time out and i also show them how to pet the cat the right way but they would rather bother them, mostly my son as well,
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 12:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Sounds like the cat might not be a good 'fit' for your household-- if she is shy and likes to be left alone, and you have a child who wants to pester her constantly. You may want to return her and find a pet that would be a better fit, (and give her a chance to find a child-free home).
    Anonymous

• the cat is new so he is curious..the newness will wear off. At 4 he should be old enough to listen when you tell him not to bother the cat though so have a talk with him about the cat being afraid of him. Have you told him about the cat's claws yet? i'm sure once the cat gets tired of it and bats him with her claws out he will know she means business.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Have a time of day where he learns to cuddle the cat and explain it is not a toy. But his curiosity needs to be satisfied.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Maybe try explaining that she has to get used to the family. Hold her on your lap and let him pet her. That should help satisfy HIS curosity AND help HER get used to the family.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• If you are able, provide a place where the cat can go that your child is restricted from. This can mean anything from a separate room that the cat can get to through a dog door or an elevated place like a cat tree or a cat walk where the cat can hide and your child can't reach.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 6:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011