Will be 34 when baby is born. What are my chances of the baby having defects or down's?

I always said that i wouldn't have any more kids after the age 35 because of the high risk of something being wrong. I will be 34 when this one is born and I am still so worried. I still wonder about my chances because I will be close the the 35 mark.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• The risk goes up, but not by much. I had one at 38 and one at 40. they were both fine. Don't worry so much.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• 34? They don't even worry till you turn 35. Your risk is 1 in 500 at this moment.

http://www.babymed.com/tools/down-syndrome-risk-calculator

Answer by gdiamante at 12:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• OP Here- Well DUH, I will ask my Dr. when I have my first Dr. visit. I thought this was a place for asking questions and getting straight answers. Not for being a smart butt!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• The risk does go up the older you get, and you should talk to your doctor about your concerns. You can have amniocentesis and other screenings/tests to check for downs/chromosome defects-- but remember with any test there are risks and they are not always 100% correct. I had my last at age 36 and I know many people who have had babies at 40 and 44 and their babies were fine.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Thank you gdiamante
    Anonymous

• More info for you: http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/trying_after35.html

I wouldn't give this another second of thought.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• anyone at any age can have a baby with defects. i always worried and i was only 31 when i was pregnant. don't worry i think the dr will cover all those tests and ofcourse i think the first consultation will give you a chance to ask that question. i am sure the baby will be fine. my grandmother had a baby at 44 and it was way before all those tests and risks ect. congrats on the baby!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It can happen at ANY age. You should have an amnio if you are really worried. Didn't the OBGYN explain your risks & offer appropriate tets? If not then you are not receiving proper care, find another OBGYN. Good luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• tets= tests (sorry spelling)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I was 35 when I had mine and they are fine too, people are having babies older and older these days, the babies are fine I would not have that amnio test though because it can cause you to lose the baby. Also they told my friend her baby would be born with downs syndrome around Christmas is when they told her. It caused undo stress to her and her husband. The baby was fine, those test are wrong alot of times.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2011