have u need to leave town?

My grandfather that lives in TX is in the hospital and I'm leaving my little kids at home with my mother in law so I can see him and with hope that he will get better but we don't know he is out of ICU after a wk. My boys have never been away from me 4 more then a day and my dd cryed

Have any of u need to leave for something like this and how did u do? How did u help ur kids get thourgh it?

3momamber

Asked by 3momamber at 12:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Travel

• You have to just leave and then call and check in on them, but not too much. They will adjust and this will not be the worst moments of their lives. It's harder on you than it is on them, remember that. They will be just fine. I'm sure your MIL will keep them busy. I hope your grandfather pulls through!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• yes. when my father was sick. I left my son with some one. When my father past. I had to explain to him that he went to heaven and took him to say good by.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Hopefully your MIL will give them extra love and kindness. Call as often as you can.

My grandmother took a turn for the worse 4 days after 9/11, and lived in NY. I had to fly out on the first night of flights allowed. I just did what I had to do with my grandmother. DH was home with the kids and took care of them well. We called every night. And we just explained that great-grandma needed mommy to take care of her, just like mommy takes care of you guys when you are not well. We purposely did not use the word sick, so when they got sick they wouldn't be frightened on top of feeling horrible.

Hope everything turns out for the best.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It's hard but kids are amazingly resilient--almost more than we want them to be sometimes'-) Hope things go well for you and yours. ((hugs))
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 10:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'm going 2 b home soon a wk latter but I'm glad I saw him
    3momamber

Comment by 3momamber (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2011