Baby food?

When its time to start feeding your baby "baby food" How does it work? Meaning what are you suppose to start with first and when do you know when to go to the next level in there food? Let me know if I need to clearify this question better..

cheermickey

Asked by cheermickey at 1:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we started with grainy cereals, and only a few spoonfuls in a bottle with a larger hole at night at 6 weeks. i know that sounds early but i had to be at work at 630 some mornings, by the time they were around 4 months old they were eating stage 1, and all cereals.
    i just started by making some rice cereals and added it the bottles and every week added a little more. i worked alot and had 3 kids, we did not have time to follow magazine guidelines we had to do what worked for our kids to sleep all night and function well for our daycare provider. what she said we did.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 2:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• when will baby be ready for solids:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

once baby is ready:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/16starting_solid_foods.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Have started cereal yet? If so, try adding in some of the apples or peaches and if your baby likes that then start to decrease the amount of cereal and increase the fruits. As far as veggies go I think carrots, peas, and green beans go over best since they are a little sweeter. As far as when to go from level to level I think that depends on your child. My daughter had a mouth full of teeth by the time she was a year so she was completely done with baby food by eight months.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 2:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• So when my child is ready for cereals and fruit do I still give him formula?
    cheermickey

Answer by cheermickey at 2:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• yes! solids are only for tasting and testing during baby's first year. formula or breastmilk should still be their main source of food.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Heatherama is right. Your child's main source of food should be formula or breastmilk until at least one year and a lot of people recommend 18 months. You can do two or three feedings of small amounts of cereals and baby foods but, your child should get at least 32 ounces of formula before you start that and by 9 months should still be doing at least 24 ounces.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Im really sick of seeing this questions its like people dont take thier kids to see doctors anymore. your ped doc should tell you these kinds of thigns well mine did anyways.
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 2:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It is recommended to start solid food no sooner then 6 months. At that time, it can be introduced, but not relied upon for nutrition. As previously stated, breastmilk and/or formula are the main source of nutrition for at least the first year. You can start with cereal, which is what most do, but I suggest starting with a fruit or vegetable, as I see the infant cereal as just a filler with no nutritional value at all.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• We were advised to maintain iron fortified cereals until 18 months, actually. I am not saying Krysta is wrong, I am just saying the info we were given.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Everyone has told me 6 months... but my bf and i were eating dinner the other night and our 4 month old, kept watching us, and imitating us, as we put spoons or forks to our mouths.. so I talked to my mom, and she said, its up to you... ( my Ped is super busy and my sons 4month well visit wont take place til his fifth month) So the next day I got him single grain rice cereal.. it says for supported sitters, which is him.. barely, to give him one tablespoon of cereal mixed with 4-5 T of breastmilk, formula, or water, so i did, and he was like a pro... he knew exactly what to do with it.. Later my Ped called and said, truly, only a mother can decide when her baby should eat.. so in my situation, i feel it was the right call.. granted he's been on it for a week, and i still only give him the one tablespoon a day.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2008