Tax return question..

Does anyone know if i may qualify for any extra money i don't know about? I just got divorced in November of 2010, but was separated since may. I am now a single mother of 2 boys ages 1 and 2 and am pregnant again living with my boyfriend who is a single dad, with 3 children ages 5(twins) and 7. I make minimum wage working full time, and he works full time making about $14 an hr. he is buying his house and he owns his vehicle and I have a loan on mine. is there anything else I should ask about or need to know..?

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 12:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• You should qualify for the child credit since you don't make anymore than minimum wage. You should also get a $1000.00 credit towards each of your kids, except your unborn child.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Check into filing as Head of Household. Since you weren't married at the end of the year, and assuming your kids have lived with you for at least half of the year, I think you could do that, but you'll have to look it up or ask someone to be sure.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Will you be claiming the kids then? You will probably qualify for the child tax credit, possibly the additional child tax credit, and the earned income credit.

When you file your taxes they will automatically give you those credits if you qualify.
    Turbotax has a good tax refund estimator.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/?s=1
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• You and the BF need to file seperately. You need to file head of household and claim your kids and any childcare.

He would need to file on his own with his kids and deduct the kids, and his mortgage interest.

Wow 6 kids......thats crazy!
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Wow 6 kids......thats crazy!

What's crazy about 6 kids?
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2011