My son is long over due to transition from a crib to a toddler bed.

He is turning 2 feb 28th. Any hints and or tips/advice? Im super nervous about him having free roam of the house while we are asleep. Dont have anyone to talk to about this help!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think 2 is overdue. I didn't transition my oldest until he was 2 and 1/2. We bought his bed when he was 2 (one of those car beds - twin size) and put it in the room with his crib so he could get used to it. He wasn't ready to sleep in it until 2 and 1/2. Never had a problem.

My baby is 18 months now and I will probably do the same with him.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• We put a gate up in the hallway so our son could only come into our room or his. This only lasted about 1 week and he never roams the house while we are sleeping. We asked him if he wanted a big boy bed, and he said yes. We didn't have a problem changing the crib into a toddler bed. Good luck!
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• OK this is a hard one on you because of saftey of your child while you think he is sleep. I say start slow and do naps in the new bed that will give you time to adjust to him and the noises he might make while getting out. Then be sure if you can to close off all doors to danger areas. Good luck my son took to it very well because my son loved the character sheets and the idea of getting up to sneak into our bed.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 12:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• With our first daughter we got her a special toddler bed and new bedding. It was like she was getting an upgrade and she loved it! On the other hand I was a bit hesitant with my second daughter and now with our third I feel like I could keep her in her crib for years, lol.

Sabrina

csmsand

Answer by csmsand at 12:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• well he is turning 3 next month
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• My daughter is a bit behind but she transitioned at 3! :p (she's still mentally about 2 though) make sure to have bed rails (to hep from falling). Be ready to put him back in bed over and over and over. And don't cave to his million reasons for getting out of bed, set the standard immediately, do the work in the beginning to save you grief in the end. Expect some craziness and prepare your house - my daughter got up and unwrapped all the christmas presents a few days before christmas, lol. Try to get something set up to alert you he's out of bed. Like a mat he has to step on to get out that makes a squeaky noise or something. GOOD LUCK. :-D
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 12:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I cant afford a toddler bed either so thats why ive been putting it off so long, but i got a 50 gift card for xmas so im using that towards one
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Is he trying to climb out of his crib? You can also just put his crib mattress on the floor. Personally, I think toddler beds are a waste of money anyway...just go right to a twin.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would take that $50 and go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a tall, metal, walk though gate. Then attach that to the doorway to his room. Then put his mattress on the floor. Or you can post , wanted: toddler bed, on freecycle and get one for free. People around here are always giving them away.
    Anyway, the gate is good because it keeps him in and he can't roam around the house. The tall metals ones are especially good because they are very sturdy and kids are unable to climb them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• As long as he's happy there why change? I would have left my first in the crib forever if I didn't need it for our second. He was happy as a clam in it! We transitioned him at 2.5 years and told him to come get us each morning before doing anything else.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2011