anyone ever hear of this?

I enrolled at the University of Phoenix, I took 2 classes and recieved $5550 from the Pell grant. I withdrew because many employers that I talk to said they would never hire someone from the University of Phoenix. I started these classes in August. I got a letter from Phoenix saying that they were keeping my $744 refund check for payment if MyCAA did not pay them. I was confused about where they got the $744 so when I did not get my check in October I called them. They said I was getting $744 because I only took 6 credits, but I would be recieving a refund check. After several times of talking to people from Phoenix they all told me I would be getting this check. Now today I called and MyCAA did pay them, but now they are claiming that I would not be getting a refund check because I did not finish out 12 credits with them. I know for a fact this is a lie, because I got a total of $3000 in Pell Grant from Ashford and I had only taken 9 credits through them. Anyone ever have a problem like this with a college.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• @mompam - most other colleges, physical and online, will NOT accept credits from Phoenix!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It's different from a 'regular' college because their classes are shorter. So taking 9 credits from a local university is not the same as taking 9 credits from UoP.

I went through a similar problem with them. I found out 18 months later that along with paying back the school, I also had to pay back a $3000 student loan. It was definitely my mistake- I just can't believe how pricey their school is. And, unfortunately, worthless.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I don't really have the answer to your specific question. But, my question for you is...how did you get TWO Pell grants? The Pell grant is a one-time grant? I have twin boys graduating HS this May. And, would LOVE to know how youscored MORE than one Pell grant!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• No, I'm sorry this happened to u.
    graceslove

Answer by graceslove at 1:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• @mompam - and I'm not the one who voted your answer down. It kinda looks like it since I let you know that Phoenix credits don't transfer. But, it wasn't me.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I did not recieve two pell grants at the same time... I went to Ashford at the end of 2009 and withdrew early in 2010. When I went to Pheonix it was under a new fafsa or something. I am not sure how it works, but I did not recieve more than what I should have.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I used to work for UOP and have never had that issue come up...I would call and talk to the Director of Finance..They can help you and if not talk to the Director of the entire Area you are in for example for the Northern California, Central Valley adn Bay Area it is MR. EOFF you would ask for....
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 3:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• we always made about 75.00 to 100.00 too much for my kids to get a pell grant ...really sucked back then!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• This happened to me! Yup. Same exact thing. Same exact University, just a little bit more money than you.. I donĀ“t understand. And until I do, I am not paying a penny.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If it's convenient to go there. Can you take almost all of your classes there, then transfer at the end. Then your degree would be from the school you transfer to.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011