My daughter is 15 and she has a five month old. My daughter likes to feed my granddaughter constantly, and my granddaughter acts as if she has acid reflex, and gas built up in her little tummy. I explained to my daughter that she can't feed the baby like that because the baby might have enterdigestive problems if she continues feeding her the way that she has been feeding her. She acts as if she's not listening t nothing that I'm telling her. What should I do , or what do you suggest that I do?

JUUICYFRUIT

Asked by JUUICYFRUIT at 12:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let the DOCTOR tell her.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• She may just get sick because she is fed too much. Try tummy drops and see if that helps, but your daughter needs to stop over feeding her!
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Maybe it the way you are saying it remember in her immature minds your grand baby is her child not yours. I know it is not right but teens these days barely listen so maybe at the baby next check up you mention it and see if an professional can better explain to your child that her child need to not be over fed. Also show you daughter how to calm the child by not feeding her . Buy some toys or something that might keep her calm most teens mom feed because kids calm for a while.

karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 1:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• is the baby breast fed? or bottle fed? if it is breastfed it is fine if bottle fed let the doctor tell her.... at 5 months she'll out grow reflux soon so I wouldnt worry too much about that... and if the baby if greater then 20 on the BM it will get reported to CPS it is now a mandatory report
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 1:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• No mom likes to be critized about the way she cares for her baby. I understand what you are trying to do. Instead of you telling her, have he doctor do it. If it is a problem of overfeeding the doctor will tell her. This way you aren't the one pointing it out. I know you are just trying to be supportive and I think it is wonderful that you are helping your young dd with her child, just try to remember how you felt when you were a first time mom
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Explain to your daughter that you are just trying to help her be the best parent she can be. Teenagers are hard and teen moms even harder, for your own sanity and to build a strong relationship with your daughter and granddaughter I would highly suggest you find a support group for mothers of teen moms, there are even online groups.

I believe this would be the best long term option. You know what's best for the baby, now you and your daughter just need to find a way to communicate about the baby's needs.

Hope this helps.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Take the baby to the pediatrician and let the doctor handle telling your daughter what to do. She will not listen to you but hopefully will listen to the doctor.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• The Doctor even told my daughter to stop overfeeding the baby, but every time the baby cry her or the baby daddys people would stick a bottle in the baby mouth. I told my daughter that it's ok for the baby to cry and that it won't hurt her. I understand that she maybe don't want to hear the baby cry ,but if she has done everything she could think of then to let the baby cry for awhile. Thank everyone for there helpful suggestions and advice. I just have to tell her what I feel and let her make the chioce of what"s best for her child!
    JUUICYFRUIT

Comment by JUUICYFRUIT (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2011