TV for bedtime?

My little boy looooves watching his cartoons (dora, diego) before bed but lately the time i keep it on seems longer and longer. Eventually he always falls asleep, but is this unhealthy? What should I do i think he already needs it to sleep. :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would leave a Thomas the Train DVD on for my son at night, until I once discovered he was staying up (quietly) until almost midnight watching it. Sometimes I'll let him watch it for maybe 30 minutes after he's in bed but most nights its just lights out. I don't see a problem if he's sleeping well and isn't dependent on the TV for sleep.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Try to watch Dora and Diego in the mornings. My boys get all excited when she comes on. So I try to find something at night that is just a tad boring, something that holds just enough of their attention to help them settle down. Routine daily activities will help because then the kids know when u r setting them up for bed. Structure is the key, in my own experience.
    graceslove

Answer by graceslove at 1:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I agree it is much better to read and have a low key bedtime routine.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• my daughter falls asleep watching barney and she is 20months she counts to 3 and points to her body parts and sings the i love you song and she also learned how to kiss and hug and does ring around the rosy's so i dont think its bad he is quiet and enjoying the cartoon ;)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My 8 year old go's to bed at 7:30 if she wants to watch tv in her room. Lights out at 8:30 period. Its been this way sense she was 2 or 3.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Watching television to fall asleep promotes bad sleep hygiene.
    Anonymous

• TV is not good for young children. You should limit the amount of screen time (TV, computers, video games) to an hour a day when they are toddlers. There are so many studies out there on this subject. Read bedtime stories to him instead of letting him watch TV. If he loves Dora, go get some Dora books out of the library.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• my daughter watches dora and diego at my parents house before bedtime. and at my house she watches sesame street. she knows after these shows its time for bed. she loves it and they are fun. she loves to play along. she loves tv and she hasn't had any problems sleeping all time. she is 22months.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• As long as he's still getting the hours he needs I don't see it as an issue. If you're worried that he's watching longer and longer, why not start earlier?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2011